Collings Re-fret/Neck Re-set

kbb72

Collings Re-fret/Neck Re-set

Sat Apr 16, 2022 7:06 am

Howdy!

I've got a late '90s DS2H and it's going to need new frets one of these days - certainly the first 5. The last time I had it in the shop for a saddle adjustment, my trusted guy said the neck angle is healthy, and it hasn't moved since, so maybe that's not necessary.

My question: I've got good luthiers in town, but I wonder if folks here advocate sending Collings guitars back to Collings for frets/neck re-sets. Again, folks around here to do good work, but I've never gotten frets or had a neck set done...just wondering if I should take extra care here!

Thanks!

DenverSteve

Re: Collings Re-fret/Neck Re-set

Sat Apr 16, 2022 6:28 pm

Not me. If you have a trusted tech(s) then a refret is pretty simple. The amount of time difference between shipping it off to Collings or having it done locally is pretty big.
Shalom, Steve
A Few World-Class Tools..........

AllThumbsBruce

Sun Apr 17, 2022 10:54 pm

A few years ago when I needed a re-fret on my D2HG I asked Collings that question. They said use the local guy. Of course my local guy was Frank Ford of Gryphon Strings and was well known to the Collings folks. Edited to add: Of course the fret job came out perfectly.

Red Oak

Mon Apr 18, 2022 12:34 pm

AllThumbsBruce wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 10:54 pm A few years ago when I needed a re-fret on my D2HG I asked Collings that question. They said use the local guy. Of course my local guy was Frank Ford of Gryphon Strings and was well known to the Collings folks. Edited to add: Of course the fret job came out perfectly.
Use the local guy. That tells you all you need to know about the integrity of Collings, the world’s greatest guitar company!!!

Hokiebob

Mon Apr 18, 2022 1:45 pm

Use you local guy. Some players want to change the fret wire and that is fine, others (Including me) prefer to stay with the OEM wire. If so Collings will sell you fret wires that match for your guy to use.
Bob

Silly Moustache

Thu Apr 21, 2022 8:30 pm

Hokiebob wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 1:45 pm Use you local guy. Some players want to change the fret wire and that is fine, others (Including me) prefer to stay with the OEM wire. If so Collings will sell you fret wires that match for your guy to use.
I agree and yes, they supplied the fretwire for my refret here in the UK.
But ...They ARE very busy and short staffed. suggest you email Mark Althans.