Good amp for Collings City Limits?

Cedar

Good amp for Collings City Limits?

Wed May 04, 2022 6:38 am

Can someone please recommend a good amplifier for a standard Collings City Limits for me?

Assuming the budget is under:

$500

$1,000

$1,500

What would you go for at these price points and why?

The kind of tone I like is this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wW3Y51PCncU

Thanks so much for any help!

nocaster

Re: Good amp for Collings City Limits?

Thu May 12, 2022 10:59 pm

Without knowing other details like how big of an amp you need and what you currently have I'll say what I would personally get for $1500 which would be a "blackface" Fender Vibro Champ from 1964 (with the original speaker or similar). They sound great clean but I also like them pushed into overdrive although some people do not (FUNK 49 was Vibro Champ!).

Cedar

Sat May 14, 2022 5:43 am

monkeybanana wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 10:59 pm Without knowing other details like how big of an amp you need and what you currently have I'll say what I would personally get for $1500 which would be a "blackface" Fender Vibro Champ from 1964 (with the original speaker or similar). They sound great clean but I also like them pushed into overdrive although some people do not (FUNK 49 was Vibro Champ!).
Thanks very much for your advice! I know very little about electric guitars I guess my primary purpose would be to practice at home and hopefully increase my electric guitar skills. For example, for someone who was a beginner at acoustic guitar, I would probably recommend they spend $500 on an Eastman E1D because it's all solid and would not necessarily need to be sold a few years down the line after that person gets better at guitar because its tone stands up well against all solid Martins and Taylors. So for at home practicing amp purposes and no "need" to upgrade to something better in the future (I realize this is subjective), is there anything under $1,500 that may be suitable? I saw a lot of online reviews seem to suggest something called the Blackstar Katana.

Wproffitt

Mon May 16, 2022 2:38 pm

The Katana may get you where you want to go, but there are many ways of accomplishing the tone in the clip you provided with the budget you listed. Trying to go for their sound by using the gear they use (Marshall JCM800s, Dr Z amps, Matchless amps) would be both stupid loud and stupidly expensive for what you’re trying to accomplish. Home volume is crucial to this if that and not having a disposable amplifier are your main goals.
-The Fender Vibrochamp is a good recommendation as it won’t be blisteringly loud and sounds pretty darn good. There’s a newer Vibrochamp Reverb on the market that is also a good bet that won’t break the bank. With a good overdrive pedal to give you the sound they Goo Goo Dolls have in that track, you’d be all in at under $1,000, I think.
-a Vox AC15 is probably closer to the sound in that track without much in the way of help from pedals. They can be had for way under a $1,000, but are (relatively) heavy. They do, however, have a master volume
so you can get some crunch out of them
Without going to ridiculous volume levels. They can also be serviced relatively easily so are not throw-away and would serve you well in the long-run.

Buddy Shagmore

Tue Oct 18, 2022 4:08 am

The Mesa Fillmore 25. Go try one out. Blackface cleans to low/med gain with a great reverb. 2 identical channels with clean, drive, and hi modes.