D2H vs. D3H Resale Value

Gunnerboy

D2H vs. D3H Resale Value

Sat Jul 09, 2022 3:36 pm

Question about resale value: all else equal, a used D3H should sell for more than a D2H shouldn't it? I appreciate that "all else equal" is probably never fully achievable, but if it were is there any reason that the resale value of a D2H would exceed the resale value of a D3H with otherwise identical specs?

Greg Y

Re: D2H vs. D3H Resale Value

Sat Jul 09, 2022 3:42 pm

Condition, tone, age. ....would come to mind given 'identical specs
It is relatively common that certain options find a relatively smaller market and don't return as much $$ on resale. Bling, cutaways, & varnish finish would be good examples where a guitar appeals to a smaller market.
Personally, given the choice between a D3 and a D2, I'd always choose the one that sounded better. I know many friends that own D2s, but only one with a D3. While there are fewer of them, they're not necessarily more desirable.
The last consideration is who is 'valuing' them. Different owners perceive the worth of their guitars differently. It is by no means a level playing field or a linear scale

Gunnerboy

Sat Jul 09, 2022 4:09 pm

Greg Y wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 3:42 pm It is relatively common that certain options find a relatively smaller market and don't return as much $$ on resale. Bling, cutaways, & varnish finish would be good examples where a guitar appeals to a smaller market. ... While there are fewer [D3s], they're not necessarily more desirable.
Exactly. One would think that adding options to a guitar would increase its value. But as those options narrow its potential market they also lower its resale value. Presumably there's a sweet spot somewhere and I guess that's what prompted the initial question. Thanks for your answer.

Uptob

Wed Jul 13, 2022 11:47 am

The 3 grade is the to of the line. Best woods, workmanship etc.. I have one from 1996 that
has served me well since then. When I bought it I compared it to buying a d28 when it was
the top of the line.