OM2H 2001 or OM2H 2021?

collingsoon

OM2H 2001 or OM2H 2021?

Sun Aug 21, 2022 6:03 pm

Hello everyone!
I am finally deciding to upgrade my guitar from the Yamaha FGX700SC to a Collings!

I am looking at the OM2H and was wondering, if there is a 2001 and a 2021, both in good condition and same price, which would you get and why?
If there are any MUST KNOW info before I purchase a used Collings, please share!

Thank you in advance!

collingsoon

Re: OM2H 2001 or OM2H 2021?

Mon Aug 22, 2022 9:03 am

Please help.. haha.

There are no collings for me to try and compare, so I would really like your experienced advice.
How would you describe the sounds of a torrified spruce top vs an aged non torrified?

Hokiebob

Mon Aug 22, 2022 12:19 pm

I was faced with that choice several years ago. I was in a dealer's shop who had a brand new 2010 Collings D2H and a well cared for 2000 D2H. He was nice enough to put brand new strings on each and let me have at it. After playing both and listening to him play both there was no question in my mind that I wanted the 10 year old broken in guitar. A couple of points; The used guitar had been well cared for and his tech had done a set up on the used guitar to bring it back to the original specs. I don't remember specifically but I think that I saved about $500 too.

12 years later I still own and play that now 22 year old guitar. I'm sure that the brand new guitar is now broken in and it too has the tone we all love.
Bob

collingsoon

Mon Aug 22, 2022 1:06 pm

Thank you :P for sharing your experience! Very cool how the situation is similar! I can only imagine how warm and deeply beautiful your guitar sounds.
So, even if the guitar is $4000, would the broken in guitar(in great condition) be a good choice?
I am wondering at what price point/conditions it is wiser to purchase a new collings vs a used.

catndahats

Mon Aug 22, 2022 3:21 pm

typed a big long reply, and then the computer crashed...ughhh.
Short version:
Ideally you could play them before deciding.
You did not say, but is the 2021 a bargain, or is the 2001 overpriced?

Collings are incredibly consistent in build quality and sound....so, either way sound/quality will be similar.
* the 20yr old guitar will probably have a more mature sound that you can't buy on a new guitar*
I'd ask a lot of questions about the history/maintenance of the older guitar. ie: humidity, repairs, fretwork, neck angle (not so much), cracks, etc...same with the newer one regarding humidity.
No pricing expert, but I'd expect a well played 20 year old Collings to be less expensive than a new(er) one....just my opinion and experience buying/selling both new and used.

Personally, my oldest Collings is from 1996, and my newest is 2015. I take good care of my instruments, but cosmetically it is easy to see which one is older just from normal playing.
It takes a lot of playing time for the sound to mature.

Either way, best wishes on your purchase. I was in your shoes many years ago, bought my first Collings sight unseen, have since bought other brands, but quickly return to Collings. They are hard to beat.

collingsoon

Tue Aug 23, 2022 4:33 am

catndahats wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 3:21 pm typed a big long reply, and then the computer crashed...ughhh.
Short version:
Ideally you could play them before deciding.
You did not say, but is the 2021 a bargain, or is the 2001 overpriced?

Collings are incredibly consistent in build quality and sound....so, either way sound/quality will be similar.
* the 20yr old guitar will probably have a more mature sound that you can't buy on a new guitar*
I'd ask a lot of questions about the history/maintenance of the older guitar. ie: humidity, repairs, fretwork, neck angle (not so much), cracks, etc...same with the newer one regarding humidity.
No pricing expert, but I'd expect a well played 20 year old Collings to be less expensive than a new(er) one....just my opinion and experience buying/selling both new and used.

Personally, my oldest Collings is from 1996, and my newest is 2015. I take good care of my instruments, but cosmetically it is easy to see which one is older just from normal playing.
It takes a lot of playing time for the sound to mature.

Either way, best wishes on your purchase. I was in your shoes many years ago, bought my first Collings sight unseen, have since bought other brands, but quickly return to Collings. They are hard to beat.
AH! Sorry that happened! :cry: Thanks for typing up a new response.

The 2021 was $3600. This one is a deep body and has a torrified top. But the seller wont reply anymore.. so I think that's not an option. :|
The 2001 is $4000.

They both have pickups in them. 2021 a K&K and the 2001 has an internal fishman pickup. Any thoughts on this too?
It looks like both were very well taken care of.

catndahats

Tue Aug 23, 2022 4:07 pm

Collingsoon, I'm not well versed on pickups. There are many others that have worlds more experience that can give advice.
That said, my 0002-h came with a K&K pickup installed, and I have a soundhole pickup that I switch between the other guitars when needed. K&K seems to have a good reputation, and for my needs works just fine through an amp or when recording.

BTW, the $3600 sounds really good (and fair)...in today's dollars for a used OM2h. Most Collings are very well kept, and a little patience to find a used, nicer one may be worth it. Again, just my $.02.
Hope some of this helps.
Best wishes on your search and purchase!

Ps---just out of curiosity I did a reverb and facebook search looking at OM2's. You might be doing yourself a favor to steer clear of the 2021. Saw the same guitar (and picture) posted both places. One price was $4600 on reverb and the other $3600. The lower price ad appears to be a FB scam.

collingsoon

Tue Aug 23, 2022 5:27 pm

catndahats wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 4:07 pm Collingsoon, I'm not well versed on pickups. There are many others that have worlds more experience that can give advice.
That said, my 0002-h came with a K&K pickup installed, and I have a soundhole pickup that I switch between the other guitars when needed. K&K seems to have a good reputation, and for my needs works just fine through an amp or when recording.

BTW, the $3600 sounds really good (and fair)...in today's dollars for a used OM2h. Most Collings are very well kept, and a little patience to find a used, nicer one may be worth it. Again, just my $.02.
Hope some of this helps.
Best wishes on your search and purchase!

Ps---just out of curiosity I did a reverb and facebook search looking at OM2's. You might be doing yourself a favor to steer clear of the 2021. Saw the same guitar (and picture) posted both places. One price was $4600 on reverb and the other $3600. The lower price ad appears to be a FB scam.
Okay.

Thank you for watching out. It is that guitar--I had seen the posting on ebay and communicated with the seller about the price but he/she is now no longer replying. So, perhaps a scam or a change of mind. No idea with a no response.

The other guitar is this one: https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/msg/ ... 11327.html (also listed on reverb)
Do you have thoughts on this one?

Perhaps being patient is the answer. haha.

catndahats

Tue Aug 23, 2022 6:38 pm

I'm not very good at following my own advice regarding patience...
Not sure where you are geographically, but if you can find an OM2h locally to play that would be my best advice.
And, that is another bit of advice that I do not always follow...said by the guy that flew to California to buy a guitar and flew it back on the plane with me, and bought my first Collings sight unseen over the phone from a dealer in Nashville many years ago.
Prices are all over the place...regional differences, etc...so research is your friend while you are looking. Dealers are the highest usually, Reverb in the middle, individuals depending on motive are usually the best prices. Maybe look at the classifieds on the Acoustic Guitar forum?
What do I think about the one in Seattle? Could be great or not. I've seen them listed online for less recently fwiw. The neck / action thing kinda pricked my ears/eyes; at least the seller is open about it. My 0002h has had repairs/maintenance and at 25yrs old it would be expected...but it was also significantly less $ within the last year even at a dealer, and ohhhhhhh the tone made me overlook a lot of age/use related scuffs!
Feel free to PM if you have any others in mind or questions.
Best regards,
Nate

catndahats

Tue Aug 23, 2022 8:24 pm

ok, I'm totally out of place here, apologies.
But, it's a rainy day, truck's sitting in the mud outside, so been playing guitar and thinking about this topic...and went down a google rabbit hole regarding the Collings OM2h.
How about this?
https://themusicemporium.com/products/c ... -used-2008

* total disclaimer---> no affiliation nor knowledge of this guitar or the seller....just another one to look at.
Again, best wishes on your search.

And, I failed earlier to mention this one point; Collings consistently does something really special with OM's. When I told the crew about my OM1 at the last Collings Gathering over lunch, they just smiled---they know!