I35 LC vs. City Limits?

ptipleaa

I35 LC vs. City Limits?

Sun Oct 02, 2022 3:23 am

Hello! First post here on the forum.

I've searched various forums for this comparison but it doesn't seem to get discussed much. I'm in the market for a dual humbucker Collings and have settled on these two models. I've had the chance to play an I35 LC and absolutely loved it, but haven't played a City Limits and am not near a store that carries one. I would appreciate any input on which guitar y'all would choose if you could only choose one to have as your only humbucker guitar. I also own a 360 LTM, not sure if that should factor into the decision in any way.

longwave

Re: I35 LC vs. City Limits?

Wed Oct 12, 2022 11:36 am

I own both of these guitars and they're fantastic, so it's hard to go wrong with either.

My I-35LC is from 2017 and came with ThroBak SLE101 pickups. My City Limits is from 2015 and currently has ThroBak SLE101 plus pickups. The previous owner had replaced the stock Lollars with OX4s, but I preferred the sound of the ThroBaks personally.

They're both bright, balanced, and very articulate instruments. The City Limits has a bit more in the low-mids and is punchier. The I-35 is more scooped in the mids and is generally a bit brighter altogether. These are differences that I'd come to expect between a Les Paul and a 335.

Picking one would be really difficult, but I think I'd have to go with the I-35. Sound-wise I feel it's more versatile and with the larger body it is more comfortable to play sitting down. Though I will say that the City Limits is much more comfortable to play seated than my Les Paul was. Not entirely sure why that is.

I put together a quick video comparing the two for kicks. Hopefully that helps. Good luck!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4Hb7pbJnOQ

uponamouse

Thu Oct 13, 2022 3:50 am

Nice video, great tones, great playing! Thanks for contributing to this topic and trying to address the poster's query.

I only have half the equation (I-35 LC), but it sure is a fantastic guitar!
Cheers, Tom

Buddy Shagmore

Tue Oct 18, 2022 4:03 am

I have both. Most excellent guitars both are. My CL has Throbaks and the I35lc has Lollar Imperials. The very upper frets on then I35 are tough to reach due to the lower horn being in the way, for my size L hands. The CL is ergonomically better than a LP due to the pickguard laying flatter and closer to the body, and the bellycut. I am glad to have them, both are keepers.
Last edited by Buddy Shagmore on Wed Oct 19, 2022 4:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Buddy Shagmore

Wed Oct 19, 2022 4:46 am

At band practice tonight, I used my I-35LC into my Gries 36 (only 4 knobs) head into a 2x12 open back cab with Neo Creambacks. All the guys raved about the great tones and I was digging getting controlled feedback at various times. Such a cool guitar, and the Lollar Imperial Standards are fantastic!

Red Oak

Sun Oct 30, 2022 3:01 pm

You are a very lucky player to own both models!!

Play them in good health!!!