torrified top on the D1A Traditional

Jimmy D

torrified top on the D1A Traditional

Sun Oct 16, 2022 8:31 pm

Curious as I never played a torrifed top on a D1A Traditional. My question is does the torrified top sound better on the D1A Traditional?

Thanks for your insight.

Frank Sanns

Re: torrified top on the D1A Traditional

Mon Oct 17, 2022 4:07 am

Here is a good thread on the topic.

https://www.collingsforum.net/forum/vie ... php?t=1136

DenverSteve

Thu May 04, 2023 7:19 am

This is obviously old and the OP hasn't come back for more. However, since little is going on here, I'll resurrect this one. 😊
I've owned 3 Collings dread guitars at the same (overlapping) time. My steadfast D1 Custom w/baked Sitka, D1 AT and D1 Traditional Baked. My favorite of the lot is/was the D1 Custom /baked Sitka. By far it's the finest sounding, and playing, 18-style guitar I've ever played. I bought different Collings Ds to see what similarities and differences I could find. For whatever reason, the D1 baked Sitka outclassed every other D Mahogany guitar I've ever touched and that includes many fine studio D18s (very vintage and modern) when recording. A/B'd against other Mahogany, or Rosewood, Dreads the baked D1 remains exquisit. I own other baked guitars and find that all have a played-in tone and feel that new, non-baked guitars just don't have.
Shalom, Steve
A Few World-Class Tools..........

dylan

Sun May 28, 2023 2:09 am

Steve, I believe I bought one of those from you. I got the burst D1T with baked spruce top. I love it. Actually, deciding between a OM2HT and a OM2H. Which one do you think would compliment the D1T the best?