CJ45T Follow up

Georgelange

Re: CJ45T Follow up

Fri Nov 11, 2022 1:15 am

I tried it out today but also compared it to other Collings models on display and I have to say that the other guitars sounded better. I think the expensive price is scaring a lot of buyers away. The cj45 was just getting any playing time I guess. This has been at my shop for quite a while as well. The Collings models I tried were used and one was 22 years old and it was a c-10 so this can make a big difference

Greg Y

Fri Nov 11, 2022 5:47 am

Like other acoustic instruments. they're all individual. I was in Austin at the end of last week, and heard Joe play a CJ-45T that had just been strung up. It was very very impressive for a new instrument. A friend of mine bought the CJ-45aT that was at Folkways during Covid. It might have been the first one into Canada. It's in a quiver instrument including a D2G and a very good late 40s D-18 and it get lots of playtime and is a great sounding guitar. Certainly Bob Minner's instrument as recorded sounds terrific.

Georgelange

Sun Nov 13, 2022 8:27 pm

Who knows? The shop I go to has a few nice Collings new and used, so there is lots of competition. They have a really nice 2000 c-10 cutaway that is amazing. It has had quite a while to age like a fine wine. I find the older Collings sound amazing. I can image that the cj45t would do the same thing after 20 years of being played

DenverSteve

Wed May 03, 2023 4:22 am

Old thread but I just did a search and it popped up.
I've owned several Collings and played many more, I also mainly buy boutique, small-shop custom builds - and for me and the two CJ45 Ts I've played (one Sitka/one Adirondack) are the two finest Collings I've played. They are also among the best guitars, period, I've played. I passed on the first CJ45 T (Sitka) I played this March while on mini-tour through the SW. I would have purchased it on the spot (Black Mountain Guitars Cave Creek, AZ) but it is a bit overpriced. Once I got home I got my hands on a mint (almost unplayed) CJ45A T - that I couldn't pass on. I've owned most of the top-end Martins, Lowdens, McPhersons, several customs..... and when I've stated previously that one, or more, of my guitars were "cannons", I had not experienced the volume that would come out of the CJ45. The neck is like a bat but is surprisingly comfortable and playable. At 4lbs 3ozs it's a feather of a dread and more articulate than my OM1, OM2 (sold), D1, D1 T (sold). I thought Collings had climaxed when they built my D1 Custom Torrefied but the CJ45 AT can do it all. I don't know what production was on these but I have never seen one for sale locally and only a few nationwide, when I do, they hold their value better than any other Collings I've experienced. Of course along with the tone, volume, sustain, growl...comes the Collings manufacturing quality and their exquisite burt finishes.
Shalom, Steve
A Few World-Class Tools..........