NGM...Collings OM2H

kbb72

NGM...Collings OM2H

Sat Nov 12, 2022 1:31 am

Howdy,

Just screaming to the high heavens how grateful I am for Collings acoustic guitars. I just traded a DS2H and some stuff for a new OM2H, and while it pained me to do it, I think I made the right decision.

The DS2H was a '90s model, and for all I know, Bill himself may have been part of building it. I LOVED that guitar, and of course miss it. Being some decades old, it really did start to sound like a vintage guitar IMO. It was no case queen...it had lots of wonderful history and I didn't have to baby it. I really labored over whether or not to trade this "golden era" Collings for a new one. After having the new one for a few weeks, I can honestly say I don't care one bit about that anymore - at least with Collings.

I stumbled on a vanilla OM2H at a local shop, and it played perfectly (as all Collings do IME, depending on how your hand likes the neck). It sounded very, very good - it had/has the best mids of any acoustic guitar I've played in recent memory, is SUPER responsive, and even with low action, had/has a really warm and solid bass response. I was surprised at how well the bass kept up. Obviously, you're not going to get dread-like bass when flatpicking on the bridge, but move towards the sound hole a little, and woooow. Having played it a few weeks now, I think the bass has gotten a little bigger sounding already (is that possible?)...either that, or I'm learning the guitar and how to get what I want from it.

The is the fourth Collings I've owned and it floors me that, if anything, it's actually better than the ones I've had in the past (that were better than anything else IMO). So grateful these guitars are around.

catndahats

Re: NGM...Collings OM2H

Sat Nov 12, 2022 2:28 pm

Congrats KBB!
Just when you think it can't get any better with a Collings---it does!
Play it well~!

Red Oak

Re: NGM...Collings OM2H

Sat Nov 12, 2022 3:08 pm

Yes, with a Collings you can never go wrong.
I do believe the early years of the company will soon be described as a great era of acoustic guitar development.