Options and differences.

Frank Sanns

Options and differences.

Tue Nov 29, 2022 5:53 pm

There is another thread going on about specs and some interesting responses came up. It would be interesting to hear what people prefer about some of the options.

The question is not which is better but rather what do you hear and feel with these options and which do you prefer.

The classic models? The T models? Baked models? Neck profiles? And any other attributes. Curious to hear thoughts.

Eric Jones

Re: Options and differences.

Wed Nov 30, 2022 2:16 am

The classic models? Have some. Love them.
The T models? Have some. Slightly different tonally than the classics. I feel like the D1AT is slightly “more” of everything over my D1A. The OM-T is the only OM I’ve ever felt the need to buy. If buying a new Collings I’d probably be looking for something specific or unique, but I think the T option would be a plus.
Baked models? Haven’t preferred the few baked tops I’ve played. To my ear they sounded less Collings-like.
Neck profiles? The 1-11/16 mod-V is my favorite. Never cared for the 1-3/4 mod-V. But I have adopted the 1-3/4 Traditional neck just fine. So there’s something about the T neck carve that is more comfortable for me.
And any other attributes. I do like Collingses in mahogany.

JohnFrink

Wed Nov 30, 2022 8:43 pm

The classic models? Great, especially a wonderful OM1Mh. The T models? Great, especially a wonderful OM1T. Baked? I refer baked Sitka to raw Sitka. Neck profiles? VN works great for me, and a custom VN that's 0.015" deeper at the first fret is even better. And any other attributes. They've still got it: great wood, great voice, immaculate construction, etc., etc.
Bourgeois OM CB HS, Collings OM1T, OM1Mh, OM3Mh, RainSong CH-OM-N2, Santa Cruz OM

pto

Thu Dec 01, 2022 3:16 am

strong preferences:

standard over T - all my t's are gone
varnish finish, especially as it ages
vintage now neck
non-baked, at least if german or adirondack
brazilian not an option anymore. but if it were, True vertical, quartersawn, non-stump:)

GREAT question Frank. be interesting to see all the responses.

DenverSteve

Thu May 04, 2023 11:50 pm

While I like great sounding guitars, I don't pre-judge anything based on manufacturer, shape, size or woods. If I'm looking for a Mahogany dread, I don't care if it's a Martin, Collings, SCGC, Custom build.....I want the Mahogany dread tone/sound that I have in my head after more than 40 years of recording experience. If I'm evaluating a guitar for purchase, I want world-class sound, tone, feel, looks, build quality... That's why I have a D1 Custom Baked instead of a D18 - because I've never played a D18 that I prefer over my D1. Similarly, I've owned and A/B'd other Collings (and other brands) dreads against my D1 and sold the others off. I wanted, and searched for, a world-class J45, from any decade, but I never found a J45 that I would keep. Then I found the CJ45 Trad. and that ended my quest for a truly exceptional J45. Now I'm consumed by the CJ45 AT.

I have bought and tested, evaluated most models of Collings 000/OM, dreads & CJs, both traditional, baked, custom - and I find no specific consistency, that indicates to me, that Trads are better than standards. Or that standards are better than Traditionals, I will buy 3-4 dreads (if a dread is what I need) and evaluate them side-by-side, then sell the ones that aren't going to make the cut. Never has it been that the Trads always win over baked standards, or that standards win over baked or - any other consistency other than I KNOW exactly what sound I want and I search until I find that sound.

Example, I was on my annual SW mini-tour last year and stopped into one of my favorite guitar stores in the country - Acoustic Vibes Music - wanting a new Lowden. I was looking for a EIR/Sitka F model (F32) and after playing everything available to me, I bought a J50 Custom Ancient Cuban Mahogany/Sitka because that gave me the sound I wanted. So, in short, no manufacturer's specific model or wood combination will be consistent enough, for me, to buy without playing to make SURE I get the exact guitar I am looking for - regardless of model and wood options.
Shalom, Steve
A Few World-Class Tools..........

godfreydaniel

Tue May 23, 2023 10:34 pm

I’ve only had a chance to try four traditionals.

01 12-fret T - this one didn’t impress me at all. The shop had an 02H 14-fret non-traditional that I thought blew away the 01.

002H 12-fret T - I thought it was OK, but I brought my 02H 12-fret to compare against, and I thought my 02H was the better sounding guitar.

OM2H 14-fret T with torrified Sitka top - I’ve played two of these. Both were amazing.

Regarding torrified tops - I had an 001 14-fret non-traditional with a torrified Sitka top. Great bass, overall very impressive, but I noticed that (IMO) something was missing - it sounded a bit sterile, not much happening with overtones. I still have an 002H 14-fret non-traditional with a Sitka top that sounds great.

Silly Moustache

Sat Jun 17, 2023 11:38 pm

Hi, I'm late to this paerty but FWIW, I'll share my prefs and why I'm a Collings player.

Had a D35 for 21 years and it served me well. I sold it to a friend to buy a J-40. BIG mistake - shallow neck etc. Didn't work for me.
Opening for a late great singer/guitarist called Isaac Guillory , after I whined about the J40 he handed me his Martin D35-S . Immediately solved my accuracy issues -clean hammer ons/piull offs etc. That was 1996. I searched all over for a Martin 12 fret dread, to no avail.

1999 - I visited a shop in East London and found no 12 fretters but a keen helpful sales guy who made a note in his little red book. A few weeks later he phoned me suggesting I drive back up to London and "bring everything you can bear to part with!"
Once there he gave my current wife and I some coffee and showed me to a glass demo room where he had a Martin HD28-VS, Bourgeois DS260, Santa Cruz D12 and one of the firsat two Collings guitars to come into the UK - a DS2h. 25.5" scale,1 & 13/16" nut, 2 & 3/8" string spacing - perfection for me.

I and a pro acquaintance spent all morning and after a beery lunch some afternoon A/B ing these fine instruments. It was the DS2h by a mile. I traded a couple of guitars and went upon my way rejoicing.
I kept that '98 build DS2h for another 21 years and worked it hard! I had cancer treatment in 2017 which affected my voice, and hearing. The Collings sounded "wrong" - in a fit of depression, I foolishly let it go, but I had alsopurchased a 2003 0002h, a 2003 DS1ASB, a 2007 DS2h, and a 2008 DS1.
I can't say which one I love the best! I got back into playing in 2019,and got a nice little set of solo gigs lined up for 2020, which,of course didn't happen. I love my dreads and I play them at my own club and do floor spots at the few remaining clubs around but no "real" gigs now, and I'm 75 anyway so nearly dead.

I dunnowhy the wider fretboard works best for me , but it does - Idon't have big hands and in fact they are skinnier since the cancer treatment which caused me to lose 45- 50 lbs. I have a Waterloo WL12 as well but still find the 1 & 3/4" nut width a tad tight for me.

Martin were tardy in dropping their pre 1933 12 frwt models but fortunatley Uncle Bill kept the flame alive.
I'd love to get a 002h as wellbut prices have largely gon over my paygrade now.
That's It! I've got a Custom Martin D12-20 (Looks like a D12-35) and a Santa Cruz "RS" and some other stuff, but if I could I have all Collings.