Finally!!! D2H-SB

Ranren

Finally!!! D2H-SB

Wed Dec 14, 2022 7:12 am

I’ve owned a custom built 1995 Ronnie Griffin super straight aged Brazilian D-28 style for 26 years and have been happy. Also a few decent Martin D models that I’ve owned have come and gone in the mean time, including a 2002 D-18GE.
However, I’ve been wanting a Collings D model since around 1990 when first hearing of them in a magazine article and after playing several over the years I knew the day would come when I could afford to purchase one.
32 years later, able and willing to buy and after two months of searching I found two that I liked. 2008 Collings D2H-SB with
1 3/4” nut and ivroid binding on the neck and head—which might be a special order custom option? And then a 2000 Martin D-28LSV with Adi top. Huge Rice fan.
Couldn’t make up my mind which to buy!
Heck, I gottem both.
Both shipped and scheduled to arrive the same day.
I’ve never bought a guitar unplayed before so was equal parts excited and worried!
The Collings is a BEAST!!!!!!!
The Martin is great, but no where near the voice, pop and volume of the Collings. I absolutely love it!! The amberburst top has grain so tight it can’t be counted in some places and where it can be counted it’s at around 32 per inch! Bought used so I don’t know how to find out about this guitar’s top wood type, or whether it’s a custom ordered piece. Is there a way to find out?
So glad I’ve finally made it to Collings! The baddest guitars on this planet! ‘Fraid the Martin and Griffin will end up doing a lotta hanging around in their hangers.
Attachments
6233AB6D-2626-4CDF-918B-8213490AE5D6.jpeg
F9E59339-46E1-4BBD-9B19-BC1BA6FF885D.jpeg

Eric Jones

Re: Finally!!! D2H-SB

Wed Dec 14, 2022 12:20 pm

Randall, congratulations! Sounds like it was worth the wait. The binding on fretboard and headstock is a custom option. The model designation on the interior label will indicate the top wood. If it’s “D2HSB” then it’s Sitka. If there’s an “A” then it’s Adirondack. You can email Collings the serial number stamped on the neck block inside the guitar and they’ll send you the specs.

Does the HD28LSV have an Adirondack top? I’ve always been interested in those models since playing one in 1998.

Ranren

Wed Dec 14, 2022 4:15 pm

Thanks, Eric!
Yes, the serial number indicates that the LSV was built 70 guitars before Martin stopped using Adi on them—if what I read in the acoustic forum has it right and if I understand what I read correctly.
And I don’t think this one has the coveted red spruce Smokey top, since the growth rings aren’t tight enough and the coloring is too even across the whole top. Got it for $4,650, btw.
The grpi is around 24, so not as tight as my Griffin and Collings which both are around 30+
Had I only bought the Martin I’d be completely happy and satisfied with it, but because of this abnormally great Collings it makes the Martin pale a bit.
Every Collings I’ve played sound exceptional, but this particular one would stand out among a room full of them, I think. $5,000 seems like a steal, now, considering how awesome it sounds.
Nevertheless, I’ll keep the LSV and Griffin a while. Unless I get to a place where I need money or want to make a trade.
Wouldn’t mind owning an older D1HA-T or D1A-T with white perfling on the head and neck some day! Think I’ve become a Collings fan, sho nuff!

Greg Y

Wed Dec 14, 2022 11:31 pm

Give Collings a phone call with your serial # and they will give you the specifications off the build sheet.
Beautiful guitar. Style 1 sunburst...... 'amberburst' is Martin lingo. ;-)

uponamouse

Wed Dec 14, 2022 11:39 pm

Congrats on both guitars. Love that beautiful Collings sunburst!
Cheers, Tom

Ranren

Thu Dec 15, 2022 12:03 am

Thanks for the info, bro! Think I’m good with what Eric said about the top and happy to know about the binding being a custom option.
Would’ve been a bit cooler if it was Adi, but as good as it sounds wouldn’t matter to me if the top was made of petrified American cheese .;)
Was wondering what Collings calls their beautiful burst. Thanks again, Greg!

Ranren

Thu Dec 15, 2022 12:22 am

Thanks, Tom!
I love this new axe and have enjoyed reading posts from this forum. Hope to be able to stick around some!
I have a bit to learn about Collings guitars. The rural area I’m from no one I know, personally, has one, so I will have to get all my info here. While out gigging or publicly jamming, years ago, I was able to play about 10 of them. Each one was better than most others I’ve ever played—discluding most 70/80 year old Martins, of course.
My new 22 year old Martin is no slouch and I love its looks, but as a player it’s all about, or mostly about the sound. Bill somehow figured out how to accomplish both in spades!
Never met a dissatisfied Collings owner. Have y’all?