Are all changes bad?

Ranren

Are all changes bad?

Thu Dec 15, 2022 9:31 pm

Here’s a question that may spark a keg of interest, but I’m about to make a small, yet needed , imo, change to the bridge of my new 2000 Martin HD-28 LSV. Now I know two things: dyed in the wool instrument traditionalists will not like any changes made to any guitar, especially one that is built to copy traditional specs.
And two: this may be a question best posted to UMGF, but the gist of the matter will pertain to Collings owners, as well.
The change I’ll make, unless I have a change of mind because of informed, sensible opposition, is letting a professional cut slots for strings into the bridge and use unslotted ebony pins. For sure, It’s a better ball end securing method—for several known reasons.
Nevertheless, my concern is this: Is this positive, small, yet invasive change going to devalue this particular instrument for most typical buyers if I ever decide to sell?

Frank Sanns

Re: Are all changes bad?

Fri Dec 16, 2022 12:03 am

Any changes whatsoever will affect the changes for some buyers. Many will not even buy if there is a guitar strap attachment.

When you get into the thinner air of the moderate and expensive guitars, I think it is a good general statement that people tend to become more picky as the price points go up.

Changing bridge pins is a non issue but once there is cutting into the bridge, then your potential buyers' base will become smaller.

The two questions I think you have to asks yourself are, will the change really make enough of a difference to justify and if it is your guitar for life or a long time, why care about resale value?

Frank

Eric Jones

Fri Dec 16, 2022 1:57 am

I agree with Frank’s words. I generally don’t like changes, though slotting the bridge doesn’t seem like a big deal. Have you researched Bryan Kimsey’s work in modding Martins?

Greg Y

Fri Dec 16, 2022 2:06 am

Absolutely, get the bridge slotted and the bridge ramped & use un-slotted pins. It's the acknowledged way to go. Bill did this at Collings in 2000. My '99 D1av came with slotted pins and they were gone in a matter of weeks.

Flakyfoont

Fri Dec 16, 2022 2:27 pm

Greg--and was there any discernable change in the sound of your guitar?

Greg Y

Fri Dec 16, 2022 5:33 pm

No change in sound, but an appreciable improvement in protection against the bridgeplate getting chewed up over time

pto

Fri Dec 16, 2022 6:21 pm

for me, i wouldn't want any modifications to have been done if buying on the used market. as for protecting the bridge plate, i think i help a little, at least, by bending the ball itself so that it is under the "ledge" of the plate instead of being held in the hole by being "squeezed" by the pin. never had any chewing of the plate on any guitar, but i take my time. that's the goal anyway.:)

Greg Y

Sat Dec 17, 2022 1:32 am

in the golden age guitars '30s....pins were unslotted and bridge was slotted. Bill went back to this model around 2000.
Protecting the bridgeplate doesn't depend on you bending the strings (i do that any way). The problem was the slotted pins deforming and the string balls eating up the bridgeplate.

Ranren

Sat Dec 17, 2022 4:30 am

All very good answers. Thanks guys.
At this point, what I think I want to do is make a trade with someone who wants an all original(for now?)Martin LSV for a 90s Collings D1AT having a dark burst top. And white purfling up the neck and around the head. And has super tight growth rings throughout the entire top.
And sounds so good no one in their right mind would ever trade it off.
Are these simple trade requirements doable with anyone here at the Collings Forum? 😏😁

The Martin really does sound great. I had a friend come over tonight to play my two new acquisitions and he seemed to like both, with just a slight, tenuous nod to the Collings, however, he’s a diehard Martin fan who would be tough to impress with anything else. That’s fine. I get it.
I’ve never been brand loyal and judge guitars, trucks, etc individually.

I’ll be giving the slotted bridge idea more thought, for sure.
How bout a tortoise style pick guard replacement?
Is that considered a dealbreaker in the minds of used Martin buyers? On a Rice styled (more or less) guitar, I wouldn’t think so.

I was kidding about all the spec expectations above, but I would consider trading for a nice, older D1AT.
Last edited by Ranren on Sat Dec 17, 2022 4:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ranren

Sat Dec 17, 2022 4:41 am

PS
And yes, if I do end up with a great sounding 90s D1AT or D1A with 1 3/4” nut then I’ll definitely be slotting the bridge, since I doubt I’d ever be selling it.
I’ve had to have a bridge plate pin hole repair done to one of my bygone Martins.