new Collings build

dansprucefir

new Collings build

Mon Jan 09, 2023 5:27 pm

Hey all,
I am having a new Collings built starting in a month or 2 and am looking for input. For the time being, I am planning on ordering a 001A (12 fret) non-traditional with a 1 and 3/4 nut width. First of all, the guitar has to be comfortable to play on the couch and has to have the standard thinner neck profile for spending lots of time in the 5th-10th fret positions. I have my D1AT so I have the big guitar field covered.

It will be played primarily with a flatpick: single, ringing notes (like Bob Minner, just not as good), gypsy swing and a few fiddle tunes will be mostly what I forsee playing on it. But I also expect to use it with smaller groups where the D is just too much. My reason for going with a 00 as opposed to an OM is that I have never been happy with an OM and I have had 4 from Collings at this point (OM1A, OM1AT, OM1AJL, OM1T) and I think that is because I have wanted something smaller and more comfortable.

My question is: am I thinking about this correctly or should I be leaning toward a 0 or a 000. Any thoughts are greatly appreciated!
Dan

Greg Y

Re: new Collings build

Tue Jan 10, 2023 6:34 pm

I think the 00 will be just right.... the Goldilocks guitar. A little more resonant than the 14 fret model. I've had a lot of Collings Ds as well as an 01A and a 0001G. The 01a was a powerful guitar, focused and loud but not as resonant as vintage versions ('30s-early 40s). The 000 is a big guitar. A long scale honker that can hold its own with banjos and multiple fiddles.....but not as comfortable as a 00 for playing sitting down. Think about a German top.... lovely overtones and clarity without losing the response to a light touch. Collings with G tops have proven to have something special and are some of my favourite guitars.

Flakyfoont

Wed Jan 11, 2023 3:20 pm

I had a Collings 002H for awhile and have been thinking of getting one again. Great, plenty loud, and quite comfortable on the couch. Mine was 1 13/16 and posed no problem for one who prefers a 1 3/4.

dansprucefir

Wed Jan 11, 2023 8:32 pm

Thanks Greg and Flaky! I am hoping it will be my couch companion for the 2023 MLB season. I have to be playing an instrument when watching baseball!
Dan

pto

Thu Jan 12, 2023 3:27 am

my first baseball game was 1958 at fenway. Ted Williams against Mickey Mantle. it's been downhill since then. :) so, yeah, i'd need a couch companion for baseball these days. maybe the clock will help:) and 00 is the way to go, imo...

PWE

Sat Jan 14, 2023 4:37 pm

Dan, it appears from your post that you’re solidly in the mahogany world with regard to acoustic guitars. With that said, this morning, I discovered Greg Boyd’s Fine Music in Missoula, Montana has a 2018 model 002HG currently in stock for sale. Just a thought for your consideration and good luck on your quest for a “couch“ guitar.

dansprucefir

Thu Jan 19, 2023 7:04 pm

Thanks for the thoughts everyone! My favorite Collings wood combo is definitely Adi/Mahogany and it looks like it should be here in June (or thereabouts).
Dan

Red Oak

Sun Jan 22, 2023 1:52 am

dansprucefir wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 5:27 pm Hey all,
I am having a new Collings built starting in a month or 2 and am looking for input. For the time being, I am planning on ordering a 001A (12 fret) non-traditional with a 1 and 3/4 nut width. First of all, the guitar has to be comfortable to play on the couch and has to have the standard thinner neck profile for spending lots of time in the 5th-10th fret positions. I have my D1AT so I have the big guitar field covered.

It will be played primarily with a flatpick: single, ringing notes (like Bob Minner, just not as good), gypsy swing and a few fiddle tunes will be mostly what I forsee playing on it. But I also expect to use it with smaller groups where the D is just too much. My reason for going with a 00 as opposed to an OM is that I have never been happy with an OM and I have had 4 from Collings at this point (OM1A, OM1AT, OM1AJL, OM1T) and I think that is because I have wanted something smaller and more comfortable.

My question is: am I thinking about this correctly or should I be leaning toward a 0 or a 000. Any thoughts are greatly appreciated!
Dan

You’ve received great advice. Enjoy your guitar when it arrives!!!