Collings Missed At NAMM

DenverSteve

Collings Missed At NAMM

Fri May 05, 2023 4:37 pm

I had reported from NAMM last month on another forum but I'll add this here. I was very disappointed to have Collings missing from NAMM this year. They were there but, not with guitars. While there were several larger manufacturers missing as well (like Taylor), I found it surprising that they opted to reduce their footprint when most, like Martin, maintained their regular presence at the show. Smaller builders like SCGC, Ryan, Lowden.... were there as usual.
Attachments
collings.JPG
Shalom, Steve
A Few World-Class Tools..........

Red Oak

Re: Collings Missed At NAMM

Sat May 06, 2023 2:56 am

DenverSteve wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 4:37 pm I had reported from NAMM last month on another forum but I'll add this here. I was very disappointed to have Collings missing from NAMM this year. They were there but, not with guitars. While there were several larger manufacturers missing as well (like Taylor), I found it surprising that they opted to reduce their footprint when most, like Martin, maintained their regular presence at the show. Smaller builders like SCGC, Ryan, Lowden.... were there as usual.
That’s very disappointing to learn this. I’m sure people attending were looking forward to seeing the latest out of Austin.

DenverSteve

Sat May 06, 2023 3:08 am

I know I was.
Shalom, Steve
A Few World-Class Tools..........

Frank Sanns

Mon May 08, 2023 2:18 am

They are certainly a booth to look forward to.

Having seen some of these builders from the inside tells a bigger story. People like Martin mostly just grab a guitar off the production line and bring it to the show. Done deal.

Custom builders go through a much more laborious process to get the instruments for the show. They use the NAMMs to showcase their new and finest works. These instruments do not just pop into existence. There is a plan of what to build, the selection of the woods/components, and the builds themselves. The build has to be a little extra special as there is not always time for a rebuild if there is a misstep along the way.

I have seen the 2 months prior to a NAMM being an extra stressful and busy time for some of the special builders. Others, not so much. I think it has to do with staff, ownership, approach to the market, budget and a few more factors. With the changes at Collings with Bill being gone and the retirements of some, focus may stay on the winter NAMM and lighten up the load for the rest of the year. This is entirely speculation on my part and I have absolutely zero information on Collings decision but I could easily see it happening. Maybe their glorious booth will be back in full swing in January. Let's hope.

Red Oak

Mon May 08, 2023 12:01 pm

Very well stated Frank.

uponamouse

Mon May 08, 2023 9:19 pm

In early April, The Music Emporium posted a video and listings for the "Collings Guitars NAMM 2023" that they were selling.
Link to the video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fkqx2icCPMA

Links to each guitar were provided in the video description:
Collings OM3 Reclaimed Alaskan Spruce & Sinker Mahogany Custom
Collings 01 Figured Mahogany Sunburst 12-Fret
Collings 002H Reclaimed Sitka & Bastogne Walnut Custom
Collings OM2 Cocobolo & German Spruce Cutaway
Collings D-41 Adirondack Traditional
Collings I-30 Aged Jet Black w/Ron Ellis P90s

The I-30 sold in less than 2 hours.
Cheers, Tom

Frank Sanns

Tue May 09, 2023 12:40 am

Interesting. I guess that leaves staffing, setup, and/or the cost.

Anybody have more insight into Collings decision?

Kris W

Wed Jul 12, 2023 12:15 am

Collings had a full showing at the FBJ summit in Chicago last August. Steve McCreary was present for Friday & Saturday and Julian Lage was hanging around for most of Friday. It’s my understating Collings will have a full array of guitars again this coming August.
https://fretboardsummit.org/

pto

Sat Jul 22, 2023 12:04 am

they have a superb staff... but the crazy man is gone. he was such a vibrant presence. bigger than life. steve called him a perpetual 18-year-old.

Guitar Wrangler

Wed Aug 23, 2023 3:47 am

I purchased the D-41 Adirondack Traditional that was built for the NAMM show. I was a little surprised that Collings decided not to attend but I can appreciate and respect their decision. The D-41 is an outstanding dreadnought!