Collings Necks: T vs Mod-V vs Waterloo

woodstockfingerstyle

Collings Necks: T vs Mod-V vs Waterloo

Mon Sep 25, 2023 7:49 pm

I've recently been bitten by the Collings bug, and may never be the same... I acquired a 002H-T and was so mightily impressed I purchased a Waterloo WL-14LDR and a WL-12 shortly after. I love all of them, though the WL-14 may not last because of the V-profile on the neck.

I'm looking around for another 002 model, and would like to try a standard Collings (as opposed to the newer Traditional models) but am wondering about the Mod-V neck on these. The V-profile on the WL-14 has proved to be too much, while the 002H-T and WL-12 necks feel fantastic. (I don't mind a bit of a v shape, or a bit of a chunky neck, just not a lot of V and a lot of chunk at the same time.)

Anyone have any thoughts on how Collings 002 standard necks compare to the large V shape of the WL or the smooth C of the Trad series?

Many thanks!
JB

Greg Y

Re: Collings Necks: T vs Mod-V vs Waterloo

Tue Sep 26, 2023 2:44 pm

IMO the standard Collngs 'modified V' would fit perfectly in between the T and the WL. Being modelled on the Kalamazoo and Gibson L-00 guitars of the 30s, the WL are rather crude or inelegant in design. These are very specific and bear no resemblance to the typical Martin necks of the 30s.....or the standard Collings necks.

woodstockfingerstyle

Tue Sep 26, 2023 3:22 pm

Great, thanks Greg--appreciate the info/perspective!

beemerboy

Wed Sep 27, 2023 12:50 pm

Why don't you check out the' Vintage Now' Neck shape ??

godfreydaniel

Sun Oct 29, 2023 9:03 pm

I don’t like the WL-14 v-necks either. I have an 002H 14-fret (original, not a traditional). The neck is very comfortable, nothing like the Waterloo.

Wood&Steel

Thu Nov 02, 2023 3:07 pm

I recently acquired my first Collings, a beautiful D1. I had to buy it “blind” as I was unable to play it first. I was concerned over Collings’ website description of the modified V profile. When I received it, I was pleasantly surprised by how it actually felt in the hand. No noticeable V contour to it at all, rather what I’d best describe as a full C. IOW, don’t let the website descriptions of the neck profiles cloud your decision too much.