Welcome to my new OM1A-jl

Tempotantrum

Welcome to my new OM1A-jl

Fri Jan 12, 2024 11:43 pm

I am an admitted Dreadnaught fan- I am spoiled with a fantastic room full of fine specimens. A few years ago I went looking for an OM sized guitar due to some shoulder issues and long story short I researched the new JL model intensely but ended up elsewhere. Recently I did pull the trigger on a new one from TME and all I can say is I love this thing. I have not set it down since I got it three weeks ago. It sounds broken in out of the box. I know I can expect changes over the next few years as my 2020 D1ATS has really changed a lot during its 3 years. I love that thing more than I did when it was new and that is saying something. Nice even grained Adirondack top- and the toner is nicer than the D1ATS had to begin with. For those who have or have had one- what are your impressions?

Frank Sanns

Re: Welcome to my new OM1A-jl

Tue Jan 16, 2024 3:10 pm

Two hundred and fifty people have viewed your post and not a single comment. That just is astonishing to me.

The JL model is something special in the Collings OM line. It is articulate and pure. It is easy to play even for those of us that prefer a nut width a pinch wider.

Congratulations on a fine guitar! Many years of enjoyment ahead!

Tempotantrum

Wed Jan 17, 2024 2:08 am

Agree with your opinion on the jl!

Georgelange

Wed Jan 17, 2024 10:28 pm

Congratulations on your new guitar. This OM is a very special one for Collings as it does sound totally different from their other models and has the great neck dimensions of Lage’s Martin as well. What kind of music do you play on it?

Tempotantrum

Sat Jan 20, 2024 1:30 am

I typically play bluegrass which is why I prefer the dreads. However my shoulder can hurt after a while and the smaller body really helps. I have been playing pretty much everything I play on the larger guitars and at home it does everything I want really well. It really shines on fiddle tunes but also works just fine on ballads, folk tunes, etc. I am really pleased with this guitar. At a jam I’ll stick with the dreads for the extra presence but I am super happy to have this in the stable.

Kburke

Mon Mar 11, 2024 4:37 am

I bought an OM1A JL used a little over a year ago, and it also came with one of the custom Collings cases that are in such demand. In fact, I bought it thinking I would keep the case and probably flip the guitar at some point.

I have been blown away by the JL and bit has literally become my favorite guitar. I have a nice stable of acoustics that are each lifetime guitars, and yet 85% of my acoustic playing time is with the JL. Both the feel and tone of the guitar are simply unmatched.

Kevin