SJ Short Scale?

JohnB

SJ Short Scale?

Tue Feb 26, 2019 5:55 am

I'm about to order a maple SJ with a German top and I'm thinking of ordering it with a short scale. Has anybody on the forum had experience with SJs? And, in particular, with short scale SJs? Two of my Collings are short scales--an OM2GSS and a CJ35GSS, and I value both their ease of play and the tone. While Collings doesn't make a CJ35G without the short scale for comparison, I do have my son's OM2G, and the tone is almost identical between his and my OM2GSS. If you are familiar with SJs, do you imagine a significant tonal shift from regular to short scale with the jumbo?

I want the SJ for the crispness and presence of the SJs I've heard. It provides a different setting for vocals, and is a completely different, and remarkably effective, strummer/driver than the guitars I now use. Don't want to lose that with a short scale.

I realize the SJs are, for the moment, the forgotten members of the Collings family, but I find them with their European maple a compelling guitar--with a more interesting sound than the other maple guitars I've had the chance to play.

Acoustic Music Works

Re: SJ Short Scale?

Wed Feb 27, 2019 7:02 pm

SJs are wonderful in short scale! Especially in maple, I don't think you'll lose any of the crispness or strumming qualities that you're hoping for. Short scale is consistent with a lot of the classic J-185s, but of course Collings put his spin on the tone, with a sharper mid-range. For sure, under-appreciated model, a very small part of production... but we love em!
Premiere Dealer for Collings, Bourgeois, Huss & Dalton, Kevin Kopp, Beard Guitars, Stiver Mandolins and More!

(412) 422-0710
Raymond@AcousticMusicWorks.com
https://www.acousticmusicworks.com

Acoustic Music Works

Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:46 pm

Speaking of SJs.... this whopper just landed at AMW!

Premiere Dealer for Collings, Bourgeois, Huss & Dalton, Kevin Kopp, Beard Guitars, Stiver Mandolins and More!

(412) 422-0710

JohnB

Fri Mar 01, 2019 1:45 am

Thanks much for the response. And it's what I was hoping to hear. A Collings-powered J-185 is more or less the goal.

JohnB

Fri Mar 01, 2019 8:33 pm

And one more question. The traditional SJ pairing with the maple is sitka, and that's what I've been able to play. But I'm very fond of Collings German tops, and I've seen and listened to a couple of German top SJs on YouTube that sound very fine. In fact there's an adi topped one on YouTube as well. So what happens with a short scale maple SJ with a German top? Thanks.

Colbyjack

Sat Mar 02, 2019 8:10 am

Hello John,

I have an SJ Short Scale. Mine is a Cocobolo and Adirondack combo. I want it for... mostly fingerstyle (some may call that crazy). I have plenty of small body "fingerstyle" guitars. I wanted one that was "bigger sounding" but clear and crisp. It meets that mark. I think it also sounds GREAT when I strum it hard (as hard as I want with the Adi top); and also when I use a pick on and play single note of double stops. The AMW people have already commented and done well, but I wanted to give you my thoughts. If there's any information I can provide, let me know.

Lcgeek

Thu Mar 07, 2019 4:44 am

I had a 2013 SJ in Rosewood and German that was short scale. Fabulous instrument in every way. Sold it in a pinch and really miss it.

JohnB

Thu Mar 07, 2019 6:14 am

Thank you all for the feedback. I've ordered the SJ. It will be a short scale maple with a German top, no tongue brace, and 1 11/16 nut. I might adjust the order and switch to adi braces. (Both my two Collings with German tops have adi braces; but I'm concerned about stiffening up the guitar too much.)

Raymond, you were particularly helpful. I've heard many good things about Acoustic Music Works.

Acoustic Music Works

Tue Mar 12, 2019 2:18 am

Really appreciate it, John. Feel free to call any time if you want to talk Collings!
JohnB wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 6:14 am Thank you all for the feedback. I've ordered the SJ. It will be a short scale maple with a German top, no tongue brace, and 1 11/16 nut. I might adjust the order and switch to adi braces. (Both my two Collings with German tops have adi braces; but I'm concerned about stiffening up the guitar too much.)

Raymond, you were particularly helpful. I've heard many good things about Acoustic Music Works.

(412) 422-0710