Short scale OM2H - is it normal that it sounds "dry"?

Tremolo Arm

Short scale OM2H - is it normal that it sounds "dry"?

Fri Mar 08, 2024 7:18 am

Been GAS-ing for a Collings for a few years and finally found "the one". Or at least thought to have found it. Indeed I have an opportunity to acquire a used sunburst OM2H short scale in mint condition. It looks absolutely stunning and I was fully expecting to fall in love with its sound instantly. However upon picking it up it felt like a it was subdued and dry. For reference there was a new OM2H next to it (with the new price tag and hence out of my reach financially) which sounded more open, bright and rounded rounded somehow. I remember feeling the same when comparing a Martin 000-42 (short scale) and Martin OM-42 years ago. The OM sounded more balanced and sparkly, whereas the 000-42 sounded boxy, with subdued highs, in comparison

Is this the experience of other Collings short scale owners? If I were to buy it - would this sound grow on you over time?

Ironically I am attracted to Eric Clapton type finger style (think the Unplugged album) and he is known to use a 000 which is a short scale, but I just can't seem to warm up to this tone as I miss the brilliance and sparkling hues of the tone typical of an OM.
Last edited by Tremolo Arm on Sat Mar 09, 2024 10:23 am, edited 3 times in total.

dbintegrity

Re: Short scale OM2H - is it normal that it sounds "dry"?

Fri Mar 08, 2024 10:03 am

Each and every guitar is different... There are so many contributing factors, it is tough to say.... However, seeing that Collings is one of the more consistent manufacturers, it is possible that set up and string choice could easily rectify the situation. On the other hand I would not purchase a guitar in person that I was not enamored with, so I'd just wait until another comes along.

uponamouse

Sat Mar 09, 2024 8:40 pm

As noted, many variables and unknowns (e.g., how old is the guitar, how was it cared for). I'd expect Indian rosewood back and sides to provide a fair amount of reverb. The string type and freshness would be the first place to look. If they're older, ask the shop to put a fresh set of good strings on it.
One possibility for the "subdued" sound is that the guitar has absorbed humidity over its life. Where I live, that's the issue, rather than in cold climes where winter heating systems can greatly dry out a guitar and cause cracks. I don't know where you are or where the guitar lived, but it's one thing to consider. My D2H's top (and action) rose and it sounded dead until I figured out the problem.
I use reusable silica gel packs to absorb moisture from the guitar wood and the case. Works like a charm.
Cheers, Tom

Tremolo Arm

Mon Mar 11, 2024 3:03 pm

Thanks for the feedback so far.

In the end, my hesitation was good news for someone else because the guitar is now gone.

I did, however return to the shop today and tried a few more OM style guitars from both Collings and Martin.

The long scale Collings OMs were fantastic and much fuller sounding than the short scale that I tried previouly, which was the subject of my post. I’m now glad I didn’t buy the short scale.

I ended up taking home a Martin OM 42. In the end, the Martin sound and neck feel felt more at home despite being slightly quieter than the Collings. It just feels like a piano for lack of a better comparison - very percussive, very 3D. The Collings were much louder and lighter though.