I35LC/I30LC Comparison

maplebaby

Re: I35LC/I30LC Comparison

Fri Feb 19, 2021 1:04 pm

biblebound wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:36 pm
Dirtyguitar wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 4:07 pm
So have you gotten in to it yet? I am also considering. What are your impressions?
Unfortunately, I purchased the guitar used out of Austin, TX off of Reverb and the shipping (Fed Ex) has been delayed because of the Winter Storm. It was suppose to arrive yesterday, but now it is simply on hold. I'm a bit concerned, imagining the guitar is being kept in some sub-freezing freight warehouse in Dallas. At any rate, when it arrives, I intend on allowing it to acclimate a few hours before I open the case. It will probably be next week before it arrives, but when it does, I'll let you know.
Congrats on your new and first Collings I have all confidence it will be an amazing guitar!

Couple thoughts..I wouldn't get terribly hopeful that your Soco LC is going to take you to a 'vintage ES 335' place. The LC construction def has helped 'deaden' the tone a bit from the more lively original models, but buying one to get the 'vibe' of another, completely diff guitar, might be unfair. Collings electrics will surpass most, if not all, vintage or modern Gibson ES guitars in a lot of ways, but each guitar model will have it's own voice is my experience. I've owned the Soco and it's def a Collings first.

Also, my best advice is not to let your new guitar acclimate for just a 'few hours' but rather over night at least. Then perhaps just allow it out of the box in it's case for several hours, consider overnight, then crack the case a bit, several hours, before you allow all the warm air in.

Just some thoughts to take or leave:)

biblebound

Fri Feb 19, 2021 4:49 pm

maplebaby wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 1:04 pm
biblebound wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:36 pm
Dirtyguitar wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 4:07 pm
So have you gotten in to it yet? I am also considering. What are your impressions?
Unfortunately, I purchased the guitar used out of Austin, TX off of Reverb and the shipping (Fed Ex) has been delayed because of the Winter Storm. It was suppose to arrive yesterday, but now it is simply on hold. I'm a bit concerned, imagining the guitar is being kept in some sub-freezing freight warehouse in Dallas. At any rate, when it arrives, I intend on allowing it to acclimate a few hours before I open the case. It will probably be next week before it arrives, but when it does, I'll let you know.
Congrats on your new and first Collings I have all confidence it will be an amazing guitar!

Couple thoughts..I wouldn't get terribly hopeful that your Soco LC is going to take you to a 'vintage ES 335' place. The LC construction def has helped 'deaden' the tone a bit from the more lively original models, but buying one to get the 'vibe' of another, completely diff guitar, might be unfair. Collings electrics will surpass most, if not all, vintage or modern Gibson ES guitars in a lot of ways, but each guitar model will have it's own voice is my experience. I've owned the Soco and it's def a Collings first.

Also, my best advice is not to let your new guitar acclimate for just a 'few hours' but rather over night at least. Then perhaps just allow it out of the box in it's case for several hours, consider overnight, then crack the case a bit, several hours, before you allow all the warm air in.

Just some thoughts to take or leave:)
That's good advice, which will be difficult to keep, but I'll do my best :D.

In regards to comparisons between the ES-335 and the SoCo LC 16. Over the years, I've almost exclusively played strats and teles, though I prefer a HSS pickup config in my strats and a HS in my teles; for the most part, this has scratched my electric guitar 'tone itch'. In the early 80's, on a whim I purchased a 1967 ES-330 on consignment at a local shop for $650. This was before the vintage rage and when semi-hollow and hollow electrics were unpopular. Anyway, it was a great guitar, but I gave it away a few years later to a friend who was down financially but needed a guitar. I occasionally tried Gibsons, an LP or SG, but never could excite enough desire to buy. I've only come into contact with a few good ES-335's, but they were unforgettable, the rest were dogs. I once bought a PRS DGT (sort of a Gibson LP/Fender Strat hybrid), which was a fine instrument, but I rarely played it and ended up selling it (which I regret). However, I always wanted a good ES-335, but living in a rural area far away from any music stores with a vast inventory, I just don't trust purchasing a Gibson without playing it first. Thus, I realize the SoCo may not exactly be a 335 but I know it will be a fine instrument and the build/tonal qualities consistent simply because it is a Collings. I assume it's tonal personality will fall somewhere close to a good 335 and it can fill that final void in my electric guitar stable.

biblebound

Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:01 pm

I did finally receive my Collings SoCo LC 16 today. It was in great shape and sounds amazing. I haven't had a lot of time to play it, but after the honeymoon period, I'll offer my thoughts!

maplebaby

Mon Mar 08, 2021 12:26 pm

Congrats...hope you really enjoy!