Torrified Guitar Tops

NYJake

Torrified Guitar Tops

Fri Oct 19, 2018 5:58 pm

Welcome back Collings lovers,

Here is topic for discussion. What is the deal with these torrefied guitar tops? I am not sure whether they are really worthwhile or merely a flash in the pan. How do they sound as they age? Does the sound of the guitar with a torrified top become even better as the guitar ages? Does the torrified guitar top improve its sound like a normal spruce unopened top will do? What improvement, if any, will these tops make as they age? Are they similar to classical guitar cedar tops that sounds the same without any change decades after you purchased it? What is your opinion as to the practical benefits of having a torrefied guitar top over a good normal guitar solid top? Is buying a torrefied top a path that is simply a shortcut avoiding the aging process to sound exceptionally well? Violin luthiers have used torrefied woods. Will the torrefied guitar work as well for acoustic guitars luthiers/makers as they do for violin luthiers? How will these torrefied guitar tops sound in forty/fifty years? Why not just stay with your normal top and let your guitar age and grow with you?
The guitar is the easiest instrument to play and the hardest to play well
Andres Segova - El Maestro
After all these years, I'm still playing at the guitar.

Never grow old, never die young
James Taylor

Eric Jones

Re: Torrified Guitar Tops

Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:41 pm

Jake,

All I have to go on is a few data points, but I haven’t cared that much for the ones I’ve played. Not that they were bad, but I didn’t think they offered anything superior. I probably have a minority opinion in this regard. As we often say, each guitar should be judged on its own merits. I also don’t care for the looks of the natural torrefied tops (based on photo evidence) but they do look nice under a sunburst.

pjkesq

Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:46 am

Eric Jones wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:41 pm Jake,

All I have to go on is a few data points, but I haven’t cared that much for the ones I’ve played. Not that they were bad, but I didn’t think they offered anything superior. I probably have a minority opinion in this regard. As we often say, each guitar should be judged on its own merits. I also don’t care for the looks of the natural torrefied tops (based on photo evidence) but they do look nice under a sunburst.
I have played a few torrified tops now. I have to be honest and say that I could not discern a difference in tone. From a logical standpoint in terms of working with wood, it would seem to me that letting the natural aging process is the way to go. I don't think the verdict will be in on the torrification process for another 20-30 years when we see how those tops have held up.

Mwyates

Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:21 pm

I’ve liked the two baked top Collings I’ve had, an OM2H T and my current D2H MRA T.
Would I have liked them better with standard tops? Who knows?
The concept makes sense to me, and logic would indicate that a baked top will change less over time.
I like the way they look, too :D

As an aside, I had a Telecaster with a baked body and neck that sounded “older” than any other newTele I’ve played.

f5joe

Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:39 pm

I own a newish Collings D-A1T baked top and a new Martin D-28 1937 Authentic Aged w/ torrified top. These are the two best new guitars I've owned. I believe the torrified tops lend to the overall sound/tone improvement ...... in addition to the other appointments each guitar has. Thin finishes also lend a great deal of immediate tone improvement, imho.

I am totally thrilled each time I engaged either of these guitars.

Zach

Fri Oct 26, 2018 12:19 am

I don't think anyone can answer the question about how they will sound in 50 years.....as this hasn't been around that long. But I prefer to age my guitar myself...just like my dad did, grandpa, and all my musician friends and family before me have done!

txmiller

Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:08 pm

As I currently own 9 Collings instruments and have purchased/traded/sold another 5 or 6, I know what a Collings sounds like to my ear and why I like them. Of all those guitars, only one is baked (Sitka over Mahogany) that I bought used and was built in 2016. I bought the guitar because of the sound as opposed its baked top but after playing it for several years, it is very likely the best instrument I own. I don’t know if it’s the torrification or just the overall wood/build that produces its great tone but I really don’t care. As I’m 66, I probably won’t be able to “play in” my guitars for 30+ years, I’ll take the best sounding instrument I can find now. I also won’t really care what happens to the top in 50 years. I guess what I’m trying trying to say is that if a guitar speaks to you and has the tone etc. you’re looking for, go ahead and get it regardless of baked or not. Each instrument is different and I don’t believe you can automatically prejudge them without playing.

f5joe

Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:45 pm

txmiller wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:08 pm As I currently own 9 Collings instruments and have purchased/traded/sold another 5 or 6, I know what a Collings sounds like to my ear and why I like them. Of all those guitars, only one is baked (Sitka over Mahogany) that I bought used and was built in 2016. I bought the guitar because of the sound as opposed its baked top but after playing it for several years, it is very likely the best instrument I own. I don’t know if it’s the torrification or just the overall wood/build that produces its great tone but I really don’t care. As I’m 66, I probably won’t be able to “play in” my guitars for 30+ years, I’ll take the best sounding instrument I can find now. I also won’t really care what happens to the top in 50 years. I guess what I’m trying trying to say is that if a guitar speaks to you and has the tone etc. you’re looking for, go ahead and get it regardless of baked or not. Each instrument is different and I don’t believe you can automatically prejudge them without playing.
Your last sentence sums it up very well!

kh1967

Thu Nov 01, 2018 12:21 pm

I think torrefied tops are like any anything else in the guitar world - some are outstanding, some are average.i have heard and owns ones that are incredible, and some that I put right back on the shelf.

A torrefied top, does not a guitar make is my final thought.

Cameleye

Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:29 pm

I've owned two torrified Martin Authentics and both left me cold. Didn't keep 'em long.
Might have been duds but I think maybe my ol' ears just prefer standard sitka.