Strings

12Frets

Re: Strings

Thu Nov 01, 2018 5:58 pm

I've always been a fan of John Pearse, but they're hard to find lately. I've got a set of those Tony Rice signature Monel strings on my D1, which is a whole different direction but they sound great.

Bozz

Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:10 pm

My CJ-35 likes D'addario EJ16's

Derek

Tue Nov 13, 2018 4:50 am

Elixir Nano

Hokiebob

Sat Nov 17, 2018 4:22 pm

I prefer the John Pearse New Medium 710.

I A/Bd a lot of different strings by playing them each myself and then having a friend play my guitars for me to listen to. After a couple of weeks of trials we both settled on the Pearse strings and have used them ever since.
The strings are: 013 017 024w 032w 042w 055w

Not to run a commercial but I order them through Elderly for $6.25 a set by buying 5 at a time.

https://www.elderly.com/john-pearse-710 ... m?___SID=U
Bob

Rick LaReno

Wed Nov 21, 2018 5:07 pm

On my Collings OM-42G I use D'Adderio EXP 19's. Med bottom and light top. On my D-3, Exp 17's, that are mediums or 13/56.

charlieoz

Fri Nov 23, 2018 3:00 am

The Elixir Nano's are great.... and the D'addario Nickel Bronze are a very good alternative... great on my Julian Lage...and many other Collings...just sayin...

RNF

Re: Strings forever

Wed Jan 02, 2019 1:58 am

I've been searching around for different strings for different acoustic guitars forever. With the purchase of my CJ (SS, Rosewood, German Spruce) came the recommendation of John Pearse. I find the CJ to be amazing and the John Pearse likely to be a part of that amazement. The CJ came with John Pearse on it. I put on John Pearse 700M's (phosphor Bronze Mediums) and thought they were great. I just put on some John Pearse 300M's (80/20 Bronze Wound) and my wife (not a guitar player) thought they sounded absolutely amazing. A bit brighter than the 700's.

A brand new set of my old favorite Martin strings, Acoustic SP's, are still on my bookshelf. What I'll string my Gibson and Martin with I'm not sure, and frankly after the purchase of the CJ, I don't really care. I think I may put them both up for sale because all I want to play is the Collings with the John Pearse on it.

I'm all in for input from others on this topic, so I felt compelled to report. Good luck, and let me know if your string journey takes you anywhere noteworthy.

Good luck

Silly Moustache

Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:26 pm

Just a thought - Collings guitars are all supplied with D'addario uncoated PB strings.

Does no-one else but me think that this might be significant?

I have often wondered why they supply all the Martin style models with ebony pins whereas Martin uses bone (well white) pins on the x28 and above models.

Collings don't penny pinch. I believe they have chosen the pins and the strings because they are relatively neutral and the guitar's tone is all about the woods and build.

btw - I have changed the pins in all my Collings because they look prettier - but I admit that they do male the already bright (OK balanced) trebles even brighter.

As I said, just a thought for discussion.

Hokiebob

Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:06 am

Hi Andy,

I think that Bill Collings realized that it was convenient to equip all the guitars with the the same strings. Despite buying in bulk to save cost you can keep less inventory on hand. He chose a good quality, neutral, popularly priced and widely available string. He made a business deal with D'Addario. I seriously doubt that he thought EJ-17s were the be all and end all strings. You've been around here long enough to know that NO string would ever meet the needs of every player. Bill knew enough guitar players to know that too.

Once again it was more convenient to supply all Collings guitars with the same pins. Can you imagine the inventory nightmare trying to meet the demand for all the available pins out there. He chose a traditional, neutral, popularly priced and widely available pin. He knew guitar players well enough to know that many of us would look to customize our guitars. New pins are a relatively inexpensive way to "upgrade" your guitar.

BTW Most of those white pins you see on the Martin __ 28 guitars are "White Plastic". That is per the specifications listed on the Martin Website. The first thing I did with my Custom Shop Martin D-18V was trade out the Black Plastic pins for (wait for it) a set of ebony pins with Mother of Pearl Dot inlays.
Bob

markT

Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:59 pm

^^^ I agree with Bob.
Collings does state the brand and gauge of strings on each models stats, but no where does it say that your new Collings will only sound or perform as designed with these particular strings.

D’Addarrio strings sound fine, but rather generic to me. Pearse on the other hand have a sweetness and more complex sonic tone to my ears.

I have too found the Martin Retro Monel’s very appealing in a different way as mentioned above.