Collings through the years and your preferences

elambo

Re: Collings through the years and your preferences

Mon Dec 24, 2018 6:06 pm

Thanks for sharing! Interesting story. Now you have me thinking about all my guitar's necks as compared to their tone.

Silly Moustache

Tue Dec 25, 2018 12:22 am

Hi, it was my tech who makes solid electrics who made me aware of this neck mass and tone business. Apparently with detachable necks of solids it can be easily demonstrated.

Salmosalar

Sat Dec 29, 2018 8:17 pm

Great topic.

I've owned a silly number of Collings acoustics over the years. Still own and play most of them. Every single one, when I sit to play it awhile, leaves me thinking, "Wow, this thing is great". That said, if forced to pick my favourites of the bunch over the years, I'd say, in no particular order - a 2001 D2HBaaaA, a 2016 D2HMRAT prototype, a 2015 D2HAV, a 2016 D1AT and a 2014 D1A Varn.

All my favourite have beefier than standard necks - either vintage, vintage now or Traditional neck carves. I believe the notion that, all else equal (though it never is), neck girth positively affects tone on Collings dreads.

markT

Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:13 pm

I have been through my share of Collings acoustic's....and electrics. I love the brand, concept, quality and mostly the tone of all.

I sold my beloved D2HA Cocobolo about eight months ago...after I got my D1A T. It just has a deeper, more open tone and a little tamed high end.
However, I recently started missing my D2 and not having a rosewood Collings. I tried branching out and took delivery of a Bourgeois Vintage D Madagascar and Torrified Adirondack top. They advertised it as the loudest guitar they had made in quite some time. My old ears I guess are used to the Collings volume because that guitar would not keep up with my D1A T...not my a long shot. Sweet and woody, but not near Collings volume and punch.
It was retuned. I figured I'd need to stick with what I know. I found a slightly used D2HA Madagascar T at TME that I took delivery of yesterday. Right out of the case I knew this was a keeper.

I also have a OM1A JL which is a Traditional model as well and have come to the conclusion I like the new Traditional line the best. Not that the tried and true original Collings models are lacking, for me I have found my match. :)

elambo

Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:50 am

f5joe wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:22 am I have a '95 D2HBAAAA ....... Brazilian, red spruce that is very special to me. It was originally my best friend's and I acquired it upon his passing. Bill Collings acknowledged that he had carved the braces on it.

But ...... I have a new D-1AT baked that will set you free. :D
Wow! That's a special guitar indeed. And I bet it sounds fantastic, too.

Rick LaReno

Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:39 pm

My 1st was a D-3 bought in Greenboro, NC in 1998. Still have it. My 2nd was/is a n OM-42G purchased from Cotten Music in Nashville in 1999. I've owned others in between, My most recent is an I-35LC. Best electric I've ever played.
OM42side2.jpg
Attachments
I35LCback2.jpg
I35LC frnt.jpg

pjkesq

Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:31 pm

Rick LaReno wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:39 pm My 1st was a D-3 bought in Greenboro, NC in 1998. Still have it. My 2nd was/is a n OM-42G purchased from Cotten Music in Nashville in 1999. I've owned others in between, My most recent is an I-35LC. Best electric I've ever played.OM42side2.jpg
Beautiful Guitars!!!