New CJ35 With Huge Defect On The Back

michaelnel

Re: New CJ35 With Huge Defect On The Back

Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:02 pm

After some back and forth with CME, they said they will have it picked up and issue me a full refund. They admitted the guitar was in their showroom for over a year, and that when they told me it was new they "could have been more clear with their description".

backdrifter

Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:22 pm

Just an interesting note that there is a business relationship between CME and Reverb. I *think* CME owns Reverb, but can't say that for certain.

Regardless, this one appears to be cut and dry. You received an instrument that was not as advertised, and you are unwilling to keep it even if offered a discount for your trouble. No arguments here - an instrument of this price should make you happy on all levels. I understand moral support, but quite honestly, there's not much that the Forum members can do to help. It sounds like you've only emailed them. I would be on the phone with them and call as many times as it takes for them to give you a prepaid shipping label and a guarantee that your full refund is on its way.

Reverb has been extremely fair with me (as has eBay, by the way). In my experience, they fully back the buyer and you have almost zero risk of being stuck with this guitar or not getting a refund. If for any reason they give you grief (they won't), you have additional recourse via your credit card company or PayPal, depending on how you paid.

Still, you have to be vocal and you have to be firm. Call them up. Get a manager on the phone. Be polite, but firm. You deserve a refund, now go get it!

Edit - I see that you have done so, congrats! Stuff happens. I doubt these things happen on purpose. This costs them time and money. Look at it this way - you got to borrow a CJ35 and play around with it for a few days at no charge, and now you can go buy another one.

michaelnel

Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:44 pm

Their sales manager apologized, and is sending me some new Martin strings they got in as a promo. I don't need any strings right now, but sometime I will.

elambo

Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:57 pm

That's the worst feeling! Being excited about a new guitar only to find that it's not as new as you'd expected. Sorry to hear about the hassle. CME is known for their customer support so I'm sure this will end happily, even if not as quickly as you'd hoped. I know that they typically inspect their guitars but I can see how that step was missed during a hectic day, and it's usually very hectic there. It's no excuse -- they should increase their staff if it's too busy -- but they do tend to care about the items they sell and the happiness of their customers.

And yes, CME and Reverb are sister companies in a sense due to the fact that they're owned by the same guy and a portion of the staff works for both companies.

Sorry if I missed it above but are they sending you a replacement?

If things get rough, please let me know. I used to live just a few blocks from the store and I know those guys.

michaelnel

Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:02 am

No, no replacement. They will send me a full refund, and that's fine with me. Honestly, although that CJ35 sounded and played really nice, it was not even twice as good as my $1100 Eastman E10SS. Prettier yes, better sounding yes, but not enough to justify the price.

elambo

Sat Nov 10, 2018 12:15 am

Given its value factor, would you have returned the guitar if it had been in mint condition?

JohnB

Sat Nov 10, 2018 3:09 am

I almost want to say that the CJ35 is an acquired taste; it certainly has its own sound. I used to think it was best on a relatively narrow slice of the music I play, but over the years I've come to use it more and more and find it works, with its unique vibe, on most of what I play and sing. It's become just about my favorite Collings.

michaelnel

Sat Nov 10, 2018 3:02 pm

elambo wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 12:15 am Given its value factor, would you have returned the guitar if it had been in mint condition?
No, I would not have returned it. I may buy another one at some point, but I will have a LOT of questions for the seller before I commit.

Mwyates

Mon Nov 12, 2018 3:25 am

Glad it worked out. I’ve bought several high dollar guitars from CME and they have always been great. I recommend them highly.

pjkesq

Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:47 am

michaelnel wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:50 am My new CJ35 just arrived from Chicago Musical Exchange, purchased on Reverb. It was packed better than any guitar I have ever seen. Unfortunately it has a LARGE defect running across the back of the lower bout. It's so deep I can even feel it with my fingertips. It appears to be UNDER the finish. How could something like this get out on a guitar this expensive?

As I thought it is very difficult to photograph without the proper soft lighting, but I have attached some photos where you can see some of it. The defect is a wavy / jagged line that is close to 1/8" wide, and I put down pieces of blue tape that marks the two ends of the long continous defect.

It is perhaps 1/32" deep and has smooth edges. It is not a scratch, it does not go through the finish, it appears the finish was applied AFTER the defect happened. I am simply dumbfounded that this got past Collings' and CME's QA.

I will try tomorrow to take some better photos with a tripod and natural light, but... I do not want this guitar with this defect. It would greatly devalue it if and when I wanted to sell it.

I have written to both Collings and CME about it. I want to send it back.
This is unreal! You have every right to be furious. This is not a de minimis ding. (and even that would be unacceptable) You have large defects in this guitar. I hope they make this right!