In praise of a well set up guitar.

Hokiebob

In praise of a well set up guitar.

Sat Sep 19, 2020 3:43 am

I am the proud temporary holder of three fine guitars. (You do realize that they will outlive us.) For the past 15 years I have enjoyed playing them; mostly at home for my own enjoyment but occasionally out and about.
They were each set up professionally at one time and like many players I never realized that each was very, very gradually changing. Over this summer I realized that they didn't sound as
good as they once did and they weren't as much fun to play.

I finally got smart enough to arrange for Nick Plesz at NC Guitar Works in Charlotte to give each a "tune-up". My D-18V just needed a set up, the Collings D2H also needed Fret Dressing and my Fender Galaxy 2 needed some work on the bridge plate.

I am back in love with my guitars. I can't decide which to play. You would expect the Collings and the Martin to come back sounding great but even the Fender is fun to play and sounds better than ever.

It wasn't cheap but it was way less expensive than buying new guitars. If your guitar(s) haven't been in the hands of a skilled Guitar Tech or Luthier in a while it might be time to see your best local guy.

I'm sure glad that I did. I now remember why I bought the Collings and the Martin to begin with.

The Fender was a Christmas gift from my son. One of his drum students traded it for some lessons. For an inexpensive, Pac-Rim, factory built guitar it sounds pretty good.
Bob

Frank Sanns

Re: In praise of a well set up guitar.

Sat Sep 19, 2020 5:53 pm

A well set up and used guitar is a joy to play. I could never understand how some players never service their guitars. Some don't even change strings for 15 years. Well, maybe not that long but a dead playing guitar is no fun.

Glad you took all of your girls for some TLC. Now you can really enjoy them to their fullest!

Red Oak

Thu Mar 18, 2021 4:01 pm

Excellent observation.

maplebaby

Thu Mar 25, 2021 11:02 am

there's an old truth about putting a frog in boiling water. If a frog is thrown into boiling water he's out quick, but put him in room temp water and gradually warm it up and you've got a boiled frog.

I like that analogy for guitars. When they are new, more than likely we like the way it plays, days - weeks - months - years pass and subtitle changes are taking place as we put hour upon hour on the guitars we love. We realize we need a 'pro' to help and we get the guitar back as we once remembered it. If we'd picked it up one day and all those changes had occurred over night off to the tech we'd be, but gradually it takes awhile to get there.

Red Oak

Thu Mar 25, 2021 2:29 pm

As usual, your comments are right on the mark!! I’ve got a couple of mandolins and a guitar that are in need of fresh setups. I’ve been waiting until the Covid environment we’ve been living in makes it safer to get out and take my instruments to a reputable luthier. Hopefully, it won’t be long!!

Wishing you good health!!

remco

Thu Mar 25, 2021 3:28 pm

maplebaby wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 11:02 am there's an old truth about putting a frog in boiling water. If a frog is thrown into boiling water he's out quick, but put him in room temp water and gradually warm it up and you've got a boiled frog.

I like that analogy for guitars. When they are new, more than likely we like the way it plays, days - weeks - months - years pass and subtitle changes are taking place as we put hour upon hour on the guitars we love. We realize we need a 'pro' to help and we get the guitar back as we once remembered it. If we'd picked it up one day and all those changes had occurred over night off to the tech we'd be, but gradually it takes awhile to get there.
Frog Eaters at Stonehenge
A shame! Because, in 2013, a team of English archaeologists, excavating a few kilometers from the Stonehenge site, discovered the bones of amphibians among the remains of meals dating from some 7,000 years BC The oldest frog eaters are therefore not on the side of the Channel that we think.

Désolé Silly Moustache
Rémi

maplebaby

Thu Mar 25, 2021 4:31 pm

remco wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 3:28 pm
maplebaby wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 11:02 am there's an old truth about putting a frog in boiling water. If a frog is thrown into boiling water he's out quick, but put him in room temp water and gradually warm it up and you've got a boiled frog.

Frog Eaters at Stonehenge
A shame! Because, in 2013, a team of English archaeologists, excavating a few kilometers from the Stonehenge site, discovered the bones of amphibians among the remains of meals dating from some 7,000 years BC The oldest frog eaters are therefore not on the side of the Channel that we think.

Désolé Silly Moustache
Rémi
your post not at all in context..but i'll go there - if you have to eat a frog do it first thing!