rockbridge guitars

Martin, Bourgeois, Santa Cruz, Gibson, Merrill, Froggy Bottom, Borges, Brondel, Blazer & Henkes, Huss & Dalton, Taylor, Circa, etc.
zeke

rockbridge guitars

Wed Dec 19, 2018 5:57 pm

i'm wondering if there are any rockbridge owners still out there. i've had my J-35 model for 12 years, and i still like it for flat-picking.

these guitars got mixed reviews in the old forum: some folks felt these guitars weren't banjo killers. my guitar has gotten louder with age. :mrgreen:

Bronco

Re: rockbridge guitars

Sun Mar 10, 2019 3:29 am

I owned one for a while and foolishly sold it. Mine was a OOO model and it was awesome. I’d like to get another Rockbridge someday.

JeffM

Thu Jun 11, 2020 2:16 am

I have a 2008 Ad/Mahogany, koa bound SJ that I love. It has been played in, nicks and bumps all over it. I find that people either love or don't like Rockbridge. They have a unique sound. Just finished sitting here playing for about two hours.

Red Oak

Wed Mar 03, 2021 3:16 am

JeffM wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 2:16 am I have a 2008 Ad/Mahogany, koa bound SJ that I love. It has been played in, nicks and bumps all over it. I find that people either love or don't like Rockbridge. They have a unique sound. Just finished sitting here playing for about two hours.
They look beautiful and the few reviews I’ve read are quite positive. But apparently they don’t have any dealers. I guess they believe in their business model so I wish them success!

JeffM

Sun Mar 14, 2021 5:30 pm

Don't know their business model. I have visited the shop, now in Charlottesville, VA. I think there are about 4 people working there. Randal Ray works offsite. You will find some used Rockbridges around. My favorite Rockbridge is the SJ model. I had one before Dave Matthews made that model their flagship model. I don't know who is making a high-end J-185 copy. The short run of Gibson J-185 in the fifties makes the vintage ones outrageously expensive. My only complaint with Rockbridge is that their early finish work was not so great. The finish is very thin and given to marring from pressure. But that makes also for a very resonant guitar. i play mine all the time. It is my go-to guitar for nearly all styles.

remco

Mon Mar 15, 2021 8:49 pm

Hello,
I had done a workshop with Jim Hurst a few years ago in France. Jim was playing on a beautiful mahogany Rockbridge. From his website I think he is still in love with this little factory.

https://jimhurst.com/gear

Rémi

Red Oak

Thu Jan 20, 2022 3:34 pm

remco wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 8:49 pm Hello,
I had done a workshop with Jim Hurst a few years ago in France. Jim was playing on a beautiful mahogany Rockbridge. From his website I think he is still in love with this little factory.

https://jimhurst.com/gear

Rémi
I’ve always heard good things about Rockbridge. Thanks for posting!!!

mcdski

Mon Jul 04, 2022 3:35 pm

I own a Rockbridge Braz/Adi D from 2006 - the only Brazilian that has ever been in my possession. Listening and watching a jim Hurst video introduced me to Rockbridge. I purchased it "new" with warranty in 2008 after it had been ever so slightly damaged in shipment (a 1" crack in the back that did not even require a clete) to the orginal buyer and then repaired and refinished by Rockbridge. They also took a little meat off the neck I was told, but I like a good sized neck and this one is still very comfortable. Great sounding and playing guitar with a very nice set of back and side wood along with a super top. I bought it on-line and selected it over a Circa dread, which has since been sold numerous times. It does have a thin waterbased finish which has held up over the years. Has a slightly tall saddle, but no adverse effects from that. Good action and setup. One of the few rosewood guitars I have owned that sounds good to me no matter the time of year - through high and low humidity.
I usually favor mahogany/spruce guitars (My Collings is a '98 DS1AVSB, my #1 an '07 Martin D-18 Authentic '37), but this Rockbridge is a keeper.
Front Full.jpg
Back Full_1.jpg
AWbrazilian.jpg
AWbrazilian.jpg (99.15 KiB) Viewed 8016 times

Mark