WL-14 Ladder braced questions

CBarclay

WL-14 Ladder braced questions

Mon Dec 28, 2020 10:52 pm

Hello everyone,
I'm starting to think about one of the ladder braced versions of the WL-14. Anyone have experience with this model? Thoughts and experiences?
Thanks!

Greg Y

Re: WL-14 Ladder braced questions

Fri Jan 01, 2021 6:18 pm

CB, I had a Waterloo WL-14 for a few years....a ladder braced model. It was featherlight, with great clarity & as Julian Lage showed it was at home playing just about any genre of music. I think the entire Waterloo line is unique in their sound architecture....by rebuilding those very lightweight guitars of the '20s. A good picking friend of mine with a fine stash of guitars, pretty much plays his Waterloo Wl-K (southwest)... which also has a beautiful clarity. I think you'll be able to find one that pleases your ear.

CBarclay

Fri Jan 01, 2021 6:26 pm

Thanks Greg! Good info.

CBarclay

Sat Jan 30, 2021 6:31 pm

Quick update on the Ladder pursuit: I got my hands on a well used Waterloo WL-14L with non adjustable truss rod several days ago. From the first note I could tell it was 'somethin mighty differnt' as my dear old grandma used to say. It's immediate, round warm tone was exactly what I wanted to compliment my LG2. And it feels so alive too. Haven't been able to put it down since and I'm quite content now. It weighs only 3lb 2oz and feels like a toy when you pick it up. It's all black which I don't really like but I can overlook the look and love the tone. Oh yeah, the neck is also a prominent V that is incredibly comfy.

I'd still like to get my hands on a good LG1 and will have an opportunity in a few weeks when my local shop resurrects an old 60's model in need of major surgery.