Waterloo WL-K - bare fingers vs. pick & finger picks

smilligan

Waterloo WL-K - bare fingers vs. pick & finger picks

Mon Jan 25, 2021 12:45 am

Hi everyone,

New member here. Scott from Toronto, Canada.

For those who own (or have tried) a WL-K, how did you find it for fingerstyle? I recently heard from one high level pro guitarist that they "respond better to picks than bare fingers", but that seems to contradict what I've read and seen on-line (including the Waterloo website).

The professional player that mentiond this implied that the WL-S would be much better for bare finger fingerstyle.

I have arranged with a local store to try both a WL-K and WL-S this week. I plan to use this for fingerstyle blues (with bare fingers). Trying to find the right model for me, so any advice is welcome.

Cheers,

Scott

Cameleye

Re: Waterloo WL-K - bare fingers vs. pick & finger picks

Tue Jan 26, 2021 1:27 am

Had a K for a short while. Only fingerpicked it with bare fingers and it worked really well.
A band mate had an S that I recently sold for him. Also was just fine with bare fingers.
I myself have one of the all hog 12fretters and I find that model better for my old ears than either of the two you're after.
Just a touch less strident and sharp. More warm bottom end too.
Personal preferences can only go so far though. In the end all three will work well for fingerstyle blues.

CBarclay

Sat Jan 30, 2021 6:30 pm

The WL-K I had was an extremely light build and was tremendously responsive. I thought it was best with bare fingers.

smilligan

Sat Jan 30, 2021 8:37 pm

Thanks for your responses!

smilligan

Sat Jan 30, 2021 8:55 pm

Hi everyone,

I bought a Waterloo last week so my search is over. In the end I went for a WL-K as I was able to play both a WL-K and WL-S side by side and the WL-K was the right fit for me in the end.

Cheers,

Scott