Replacing the Kluson ABR-1 bridge...

biblebound

Replacing the Kluson ABR-1 bridge...

Thu Feb 18, 2021 1:19 am

I recently purchased a Collings SoCo 16 LC, which should arrive any day. Of course, with Collings the fit, finish, tone, is absolutely exquisite. However, I did notice Collings uses the infamous Nickle-coated Zinc Kluson ABR-1 + Tailpiece. Not to question a company known for their top-notch craftsmanship and spectacular tone, but so many Gibson owners upgrade their LPs, 335, etc. with Callahams, Fabers, Pigtails, or Tonepros. Being the 'guitar wennie' that I am :lol:, I am tempted to try an aftermarket bridge + tailpiece.

Has anyone replaced their Kluson ABR-1 with something else and if so, did you notice a significant difference?

Marc J

Re: Replacing the Kluson ABR-1 bridge...

Sat Apr 02, 2022 8:57 pm

There was a tonequest report with an interview with Bill Collings where he stated the choice of a heavier zinc tailpiece as opposed to aluminium was deliberate:

"You guys like those light aluminum tailpieces and our guitars being as acoustic as they are, they sound awful with them. The aluminum just gives you the wrong information and screws it all up"

My newer 2017 CL has a Zinc TP but I always assumed my earlier 2011 guitars had aluminium but I've never taken them off to check.

markT

Re: Replacing the Kluson ABR-1 bridge...

Fri Apr 08, 2022 9:52 pm

biblebound wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 1:19 am I recently purchased a Collings SoCo 16 LC, which should arrive any day. Of course, with Collings the fit, finish, tone, is absolutely exquisite. However, I did notice Collings uses the infamous Nickle-coated Zinc Kluson ABR-1 + Tailpiece. Not to question a company known for their top-notch craftsmanship and spectacular tone, but so many Gibson owners upgrade their LPs, 335, etc. with Callahams, Fabers, Pigtails, or Tonepros. Being the 'guitar wennie' that I am :lol:, I am tempted to try an aftermarket bridge + tailpiece.

Has anyone replaced their Kluson ABR-1 with something else and if so, did you notice a significant difference?
Congrats on the incoming SoCo 16! I have one as well and after a I-35LC, I-30LC & 470JL my SoCo16 is my favorite.

I can't figure out this hardware thing either. I am a big fan of Callaham ABR-1's. If nothing else, I KNOW it's made better. Cold rolled steel is harder, more resonate, and I would think more musical than zinc in anyone's book. I wonder if the minds at Collings have tried one. I have put them on all my ABR-1 equipped Collings' over the years. Some made a slight difference, some I couldn't really tell a difference. However, to my eyes, they look better...and in my mind, they just are better.
Easy, drop in swap....unless you are not comfortable with filing the string slots.

I've tried the Callaham steel stop tailpiece as well and I think it makes the most difference. Especially the way it locks down to the body/stud insert. Much more solid string to body connection. About a $300 easily reversible mod that I normally do.
Well worth it to me. Just my own personal opinion. :)