Tell me about your Collings OM1 or 001 14 fret

jackorion

Re: Tell me about your Collings OM1 or 001 14 fret

Sat Apr 03, 2021 9:35 am

I don’t have an OM1 but I do have an OM2hT and I find it great for DADGAD - in fact I just put out an instrumental album almost entirely in that tuning and almost entirely played on my Collings

I just use regular 12-53 strings but I’ve sometimes swapped in some heavier strings for the trebles, depends on my mood.

I used to own an OM2h ss vn which was lovely but I did find the 2nd string got a bit twangy when tuned down due to the short scale - I’ve been lusting after a 001 14 T but one thing that’s holding me back (apart from the lack of funds!) is the shorter scale - whenever I’ve had short scale guitars I’ve always ended up preferring my longer scale ones for drop tunings...

JohnB

Sat Apr 03, 2021 7:10 pm

I have both the standard OM1A and an OM2G. They are both splendid guitars that have moved sort of from great to greater over the years. They were two different experiences initially. The OM2G was a friendly player with a sophisticated voice from the first day. The OM1A was a little stiff and a little brash at first. I discovered that the OM1A wasn't really "tuned in" with the set up, and after the relief was adjusted a bit playing became as effortless as with the OM2: which is as effortless as I've ever had a guitar play--everything is as easy as I can imagine it being. Sometime between six to nine months, the OM1A lost all the initial forwardness and developed an entirely coherent and compelling voice.

On my OMs I play about two thirds with hybrid picking and a third finger style. The OM1A is an exceptional finger style guitar and takes to alternate tunings with ease. In fact, it's probably the best Drop D guitar I have (I also have a Collings SJ, D1AT and CJ35 as well as a couple of Huss and Daltons and a Martin.)

I can't tell you how it compares to the 001 14 fret. But it does everything not just well, but remarkably well.

As to your specific questions:

1. The Collings Mod V neck is my favorite neck (along with now the new T neck.)
2. My OM1A is remarkably vibrant so responds instantly to a light touch
3. The guitar was a little stiff initially, but that was primarily a function of a set-up that didn't work for me. The sound and feel became extraordinary with a little time and a set up. (Certainly possible that the adi top needed a little more break in time than a sitka would: but I love the adi top.)
4. The OM1 works well with alternate tunings, and the guitar sounds extraordinarily good tuned down.

It's difficult not to sound over the top, but the OM1 is, at least for me, as good as it gets.

GreatWestern

Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:52 am

I have an OM1JLA and a 001-14 fret. The JL (as I'm sure you know) is built more in the style of the Traditional series, so not exactly what you're looking at.

I absolutely love both of these guitars. As has been mentioned, Collings can take some time to open up. I went through a period of doubt with both of these, but they subsequently have blossomed and possess lovely, expressive voices.

My 001 is 1 3/4 neck; I think they're 1 11/16 unless specified otherwise.

As far as an OM1 being stiff, I'm not sure if you mean the voice or the action. Stiff action can obviously be resolved with a good setup. The Adirondack top on mine wasn't what I'd call "stiff" at first, but it was subdued and the guitar seemed to lack some low end. That all changed with play time. I trusted in Collings' top-tier build quality, including the care they put into wood selection and top voicing, and I'm glad I stuck it out with both of these instruments. I don't know if the JL is on your list, but they have a unique neck shape as you probably know. It's incredibly comfortable. The guitar is extremely light.

The 001-14 is an absolute sweetheart. As much as I love it, I'm not sure it would be the best choice for DADGAD, due to both the short scale and smaller body. It does have the Collings Mod V neck which is also super comfortable.

I haven't had the pleasure of playing an OM2 but if I were looking for a DADGAD guitar that would be on my list to try as well.

Good luck with your hunt.

dadgad6strings

Sat Apr 10, 2021 3:15 pm

Lots of great input from you all - thank you!

Wproffitt

Sun Apr 11, 2021 12:25 am

Have you seen this demo?

https://youtu.be/kFgFX60e7og

dadgad6strings

Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:17 pm

I did see that - thanks!

Ozarkpicker

Re: Tell me about your Collings OM1

Fri Sep 03, 2021 6:19 pm

Wproffitt wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 5:24 pm Hello dadgad6strings,
I have a 2020 OM1T with a baked Sitka top and here are my thoughts:

The neck profile is thin from front to back in the cowboy chords area but plumps up nicely to a soft v that is 1” as you get closer to the 9th fret. It doesn’t have much in the way of shoulders so it feels slimmer than it is and as a result, I feel like I am more agile than I actually am on this neck.

Mine is currently strung with Santa Cruz parabolic tension strings and I feel that it responds quite well to a light touch. I’ve been playing Jeff Buckley’s version of Hallelujah for the last few days with my fingers and can really coax some good dynamics out of it with a more nuanced touch.

I’m sure that this is true for all OM1 models, but this guitar is making me a better player every time I pick it up. The string separation is great so I can hear everything I do, whether it’s good or bad. I find that I focus more on my playing and that I get more out of it than I have with other guitars. Also, it just sounds great!

Here is a link to a video that is representative of my experience with this guitar:

https://youtu.be/RtUOdWwWYCY

Here is a link to someone else playing the guitar I actually own:

https://youtu.be/lhO8UJVwxDs
Hey, I'm a newbie here...and just bought my first Collings. It's a standard spruce/hog OM1, but I love it. I don't mean to hijack this thread, but could I just ask you...what tension SCGC strings are you using, light or medium tension? I have a set of each that I had bought for my recently sold Martin OM-28...and I'd like some experienced opinion.

That's it. Thanks!

-Terry

Wproffitt

Sat Sep 04, 2021 3:43 pm

I know you were asking about SCGC strings on the OM1, but on my OM1-T, at least, I have used the lights and quite liked them.

GreatWestern

Wed Sep 08, 2021 5:49 am

You can use the SC mediums on your OM no problem.