No More Collings Cases?

TravH

No More Collings Cases?

Sun Mar 28, 2021 4:31 pm

Hi,

New guy here! I have a Collings D1A Western Burst! I wanted to get a lighter weight hard case and considered the Collings cases but have gathered they are no longer offered? I have an original TKL case and while functional is SO HEAVY! I have a bad back and it really kills me!

I read a thread here that suggested not even included with new Collings but sold separately.... and now not even that! I saw the Trad D on the Collings site for sale a few weeks ago but now none.....

I'd like to complete the package with the Collings case but appears I missed the boat?

Any one have insights to this?

Thanks!

Trav

Eric Jones

Re: No More Collings Cases?

Sun Mar 28, 2021 5:48 pm

There are still Collings cases being sold by some dealers. And I saw a recent Facebook post by Collings that showed a new guitar in one of their cases. So it seems a few of them are being built and escaping the factory.

Keep an eye on their web store: https://collings-guitars.myshopify.com/ ... ions/cases

TravH

Sun Mar 28, 2021 6:52 pm

Eric Jones wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 5:48 pm There are still Collings cases being sold by some dealers. And I saw a recent Facebook post by Collings that showed a new guitar in one of their cases. So it seems a few of them are being built and escaping the factory.

Keep an eye on their web store: https://collings-guitars.myshopify.com/ ... ions/cases
I forget where I saw it but I read they have shut down the case making operation.

I know the impetus was the poor quality of 3rd party cases and my Collings TKL was NOT up to the standards of Collings. It was purely functional and well made but at the expense of bulk and weight not to mention fit..

Has TKL improved its cases or providing Collings with a better case than ~5 years ago? TKL are NOT bad cases just not worthy of a Collings! :D

Thanks!

Trav

Red Oak

Sun Mar 28, 2021 7:44 pm

If you’re having back issues, perhaps a better option is a high quality gig bag. Elderly Instruments carries quite a few at different price points. Reunion Blues bags are great and certainly lighter than pretty much any hard case.

Wishing you luck in your quest and of course play in good health!!
Last edited by Red Oak on Sun Mar 28, 2021 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Eric Jones

Sun Mar 28, 2021 7:47 pm

I guess Collings has shown that producing the highest quality traditional style case (not fiber...but fiber costs a lot too) just costs more than the market wants to pay. So we, the market, pay 1/3 or 1/2 the price for something like a TKL, which as you say are fine cases, just not the highest quality. My TKLs have been okay other than a broken latch spring or two. The Collings cases are indeed worthy of housing any guitar.

adirondack&spruce

Sun Mar 28, 2021 7:51 pm

They are discontinued unfortunately. I've been snapping them up as much as possible lately.

I agree, the TKL case just doesnt do justice to a Collings guitar. The vintage cases are a work of art. It really completes the whole Collings experience.

Collings website had some D and OM in stock last week or so, but now only OM's left. Im sure they will sell out very soon.

Folkway Music im Canada had a D Case in stock on website. Better get it before i decide to buy it 😉

Good luck with search.👍

TravH

Sun Mar 28, 2021 8:48 pm

adirondack&spruce wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 7:51 pm They are discontinued unfortunately. I've been snapping them up as much as possible lately.

I agree, the TKL case just doesnt do justice to a Collings guitar. The vintage cases are a work of art. It really completes the whole Collings experience.

Collings website had some D and OM in stock last week or so, but now only OM's left. Im sure they will sell out very soon.

Folkway Music im Canada had a D Case in stock on website. Better get it before i decide to buy it 😉

Good luck with search.👍
I saw that one in Canada!

Hmm I wonder how "collectible" these will be? I imagine even at $1000 a sound investment and will be worth more as soon as and if Collings permanently shutters this part of their business...

Just weighed my TKL. Almost 15 pounds!

Thanks!

Trav

adirondack&spruce

Sun Mar 28, 2021 9:06 pm

Hard to tell how collectible they will be. I see alot of wanted ads online. Plus guys with non Collings guitars seem to want them for their Martin's etc.
Im betting they will always be sought after.

Looks like there is a company following closely to Bills cases... The Orignal Case Company. Check em out, they are cheaper, look great too. But they are still larger than the Collings case. The inside fabric looks similar to Collings case.
I bet they will sell well, since no more Collings cases available and they have a cheaper price point.
But , Id still rather have the Collings case👍nothing else like it.

pto

Sun Mar 28, 2021 10:46 pm

not sure about collectibility. folks just don't want to pay the money. i love them. i think they are way worth it. there are a lot of them out that will reach the secondary market at some point. Bill built a D case that i have. it is extra special. that said, the factory run ones are so, so neat.

Fidalgo

Sun Mar 28, 2021 10:53 pm

I have a Vintage case that came with my D1T. It is stored away. I carry my D1T in a Hiscox or an old Martin Geib case. I had a blue lined Vintage D case and a purple lined Vintage slope shoulder case that I sold off over the last couple years. I got great prices for both of them, especially the CJ, but now I am wishing I had kept them both.