Collings Gathering Virtual Event

Forum Admin
Site Admin

Collings Gathering Virtual Event

Wed Apr 21, 2021 12:35 am

Many of you have gone to the Collings Gathering in the past. Unfortunately, the pandemic had put a damper on things.

I was wondering if there would be any interest in a virtual event by Zoom video/audio, Google hangouts, or the likes. Maybe a Saturday event in late May or early June for 4 or 5 hours. Something like an hour of getting to know each other. An hour of people playing some pieces. An hour of more chat and then some playing. Not sure if the synchronization and bandwidth could support a jam session but that is a possibility too.

Not trying to be a substitute for the actual physical event that normally happens in the fall. Just trying to bridge the year and provide an opportunity to those that might not be able to travel to Texas for the physical gathering.

Thoughts? Interest?

Frank Sanns

Forum Admin
Site Admin

Re: Collings Gathering Virtual Event

Sun May 23, 2021 1:44 am

I have not seen any PMs or replies on the thread so I will take that as a "no interest at this time". It is always an option of we do get some interest.

Red Oak

Sun May 23, 2021 3:01 pm

Forum Admin wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 1:44 am I have not seen any PMs or replies on the thread so I will take that as a "no interest at this time". It is always an option of we do get some interest.
Thanks for your efforts!! I have a hunch that as things continue to open up, people are hoping to have another live Collings event.

Stay well !!!

PTMurphy

Thu Aug 05, 2021 6:19 pm

I am late to the party, but I think this is a great idea for Collings lovers from all over the globe to meet up. I have learned during the pandemic that virtual gatherings are quite fun. Here a a few suggestions:

1. Collings Show & Tell - Show us your stuff. Tells us the story behind how you acquired it. I love seeing what other people have collected.

2. Open Mic- All skill levels welcome. Time limit on what you play, maybe 4-5 min?

Thanks,
Patrick

Forum Admin
Site Admin

Fri Aug 06, 2021 10:31 pm

I had hoped that more would chime in but again silence.

Maybe it is better to solicit a suitable platform for such an event. Any thoughts on something international that we could all be involved with? Maybe a Saturday late morning Eastern time so those in the western US and the EU could be in good daylight hours.

If we can find a platform I will just set it up and do it. Those that want to attend even if it is just a small group.

Red Oak

Wed Aug 18, 2021 8:26 pm

Great effort on your part!!

Sadly, COVID-19 is making a comeback. Those who’ve been waiting to meet in person may now want to participate in a virtual event.

We’re all lucky to have you running this site!! Stay well!!!

gemcity

Tue Aug 31, 2021 10:59 pm

No words (poetry, actually) from Norm? I see he is a member since 2018 , but has 0 posts, hope he is OK.
I'm getting back to acoustic guitar after a saxophone interlude and rejoining this CFv2... sad all the archives from the original seem lost, but I do see lots of familiar names so I'm glad something is active.
Retired, playing again, with an RV, two days from Dripping Springs: WHEN the Collings folks regather, I will be there IRL.
REALLY miss the barbecue!

joejessal

Wed Sep 01, 2021 7:13 pm

Sad to say, but Norm passed away in April 2020. He was a giant of a person. I once met him in Luchenbach. A great person, guitar player and everything else. We all miss him greatly. He was a kind person and had a lifetime of tales to tell. RIP Norm.

gemcity

Thu Sep 02, 2021 11:36 am

Thank you, very sad. He was the light of any guitar circle, in my opinion.
RIP, NJ minstrel!

Red Oak

Sat Sep 04, 2021 12:34 am

gemcity wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 11:36 am Thank you, very sad. He was the light of any guitar circle, in my opinion.
RIP, NJ minstrel!
If we go forward with the event, perhaps some of his many friends can plan a tribute to Norm.