CJ 45

Peanut73

Re: CJ 45

Tue Aug 31, 2021 7:20 pm

Mike,

Glad you joined the CJ-45T Sitka club! Congrats. I was prepared to immediately put nickel bronze strings on my CJ-45T but found the EJ17's to be pretty well suited. I might try NB when the OG strings wear out, but I'm content for now. I have no intention to drop down to .12's.

Side note: I normally use a 1.5mm pick but have found this guitar is ultra-pleasing with .88mm or similar when used for strumming applications.

Peanut73

Tue Aug 31, 2021 7:25 pm

markT wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 9:47 am
Peanut73 wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 1:13 pm
I'm not in love with that demo for some reason, and would say that CJ-45T sounds nothing like mine. Could be the sound quality or playing style. On that note, I think this below demo highlights how my CJ-45T sitka sounds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3sVQldfZ9g0
I think it's a little of both.

Yes, this new video show the sonic signature much better. Very nice! It actually sounds like my Adirondack topped version too. Magical mids!!

Thanks for posting~
Great guitars. Not really shopping for much acoustically since I took mine home. I am tempted by the "A" version though. Not to replace, rather augment.

midshaw

Wed Sep 01, 2021 2:05 pm

I actually tried NB strings and did not like them that much. I switched back to EJ17's and found the sound I liked. I may experiment with Martin Retro's, I tend to like them more than the NB. This guitar has a haunting mid range quality that I can't get enough of. It truly is very different than any other Collings I've played. Seems to lean more heavily to the vintage sound. It's a really fun guitar to play!

Peanut73

Thu Sep 02, 2021 1:23 am

I agree that the CJ-45 leans more vintage, and I think even more so than the other T line-up. Wonder why? C10-35T on the horizon?
Last edited by Peanut73 on Fri Sep 03, 2021 2:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bluesandswing

Thu Sep 02, 2021 10:41 pm

After thinking (too much) about it...I grabbed one. Mine is an Adi top version. What a guitar. Have had it a few days now and would say it has woken up a lot in just that short of a time. Exciting to think about what it will sound like in a few months. I did put NB strings on mine....I'll likely go back and forth between those and PB's a time or two and settle in on which I like best. Initially, anyway I really like the way the NBs sound on mine. Part of that may be the Adi top?? Anyway....the neck is both very large but also (for me) very comfortable at the same. The tone definitely has a vintage thing going on....dry with a quick decay and with (and I think someone else mentioned this too)...a really magical mid-range. Rings really well up the neck and again, the mid-range and trebles are so fat sounding and musical. I know all of get excited when we get a new guitar, but this one seems extra special to me somehow. I'm more of a fingerstyle player than a flat picker and feel like it works great for that....balanced and although the bass is strong..not boomy. And the notes jump out of the box quickly for a big guitar...something that I like for the style I play. Anyway.....super happy with it and I see it becoming my go-to guitar. I think Collings has a real winner here. The T series in general has been a big leap forward for them and I think this model takes it even further. Will be super curious to see where they take the model. I bet a CJ45T with maple back/sides would be super cool (although unlikely they do it).....someone mentioned a CJ35T? Possibly but wonder if there would be as much separation...both still short scale mahogany slopes. Maybe an interesting variant would be something along the lines of an Advanced Jumbo....long scale, RW back/sides, fancy inlays? Bravo Collings!!

Red Oak

Fri Sep 03, 2021 2:37 am

Let’s face it, the CJ45 may be one of the greatest guitars ever designed!!!

I’m sure Bill is looking down on his Austin crew with a big smile!!!

midshaw

Mon Sep 13, 2021 6:19 pm

I've been playing my CJ45T non stop and it has opened up TREMENDOUSLY. The guitar was finished at Collings in mid August and I took delivery in late August. It barely knew it was a guitar yet (and still sounded great). The newness is starting to wear off and I can feel the vibrations throughout the whole body and up and down the neck. It is becoming one working unit rather than individual parts. If this is as good as this guitar gets I will be a happy guy, but I have feeling it's going to keep maturing. It is only 1 month old after all (since it was finished).

The unique voice and dryness definitely has a vintage thing going on, but the sheer power of guitar is what amazes me as well. It is the loudest guitar I've had but is still warm and sweet. The trebles stay thick and ring up the neck. I am very happy.

Also - I tried nickel bronze strings again and I actually like them this time.

Bluesandswing

Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:08 pm

Well said midshaw. I echo your experience. We all know new guitars open up with play...nothing unusual about that, but the degree to which my CJ45AT has changed already is significant. I have had a lot of new acoustic guitars over the years but have not experienced anything quite like this. I have a friend who has a friend who has one too....he must have gotten one of the first ones because he has had his a while already...and he apparently is reporting the same thing....that the sound really changed a lot in a fairly short amount of time. I can't imagine what these will sound like in 6 months or so of heavy play. I do like the NB strings on mine....honestly, I thought the PBs that it came with were nice too. I'll probably go back and forth a couple of times before settling in on a clear favorite......for now the NB are sounding great.

GreatWestern

Thu Sep 16, 2021 4:30 pm

I love hearing these updates.

This model would be at the top of my wish list were it not for joint problems that are moving me to smaller body instruments. Still, I enjoy the vicarious playing in.

Bronco

Thu Sep 23, 2021 11:45 pm

I’ve had my eye on this model ever since it was announced. I recently sold another guitar due to a personal situation (hospital bills) that has since improved (long story). Anyway, I found myself with some guitar money so I decided to go for it. It arrived Monday and I am enamored with it. Love the neck shape, awesome midrange, warmth, woodiness, dry/fundamental tone, and the short-scale. She doesn’t look too bad either. I really like the color of the rosewood fingerboard and it has the most perfect Red Spruce top I’ve ever seen in person. Zero runout and perfect, straight grain. Couldn’t be happier. I purchased this from The North American Guitar and they were a pleasure to work with (they have a video of Carl Miner playing my guitar on YouTube). I can’t do it justice compared to him, but I sure am enjoying it. Some pics of my CJ45 A T for those that are interested: