Collings 12 Strings

uponamouse

Re: Collings 12 Strings

Tue Aug 02, 2022 5:14 am

Thank you both for your responses! I never owned a 12-string through 40+ years of playing, but two summers ago I bought an early 1970s Japanese make. I quickly added 15–20 songs to my repertoire, and many to my trio's repertoire (no Lightfoot). So, the concept is a keeper for me. But the guitar had quite the bellying of the top around the bridge, which made the action poor and some strings sitar-like. I installed a JLD Bridge Doctor to remove some of the bellying, and that made it playable. But the guitar is not worth a neck reset. So the quest for a replacement is on...

I played a few last weekend: a new Eastman, new low- and high-end Taylors, new low-and high-end Martins. Then, a 60s Epiphone, a 70s Guild, and an early 70s Martin 12-fret DS-35 that stood out as the best sounding. Price was too high. If Gryphon were to get another Collings, that would give me a chance to put my hands on one. Otherwise, it's buy one, have it shipped, and use a short trial period to decide. Another option is Schoenburg's shop. He seems to always have a couple, and does now.
Cheers, Tom

Silly Moustache

Tue Oct 11, 2022 9:11 pm

Hi, I have played a Collogs 12 string "o" size.

I have /play a Martin D12-20 so I could compare it tonally and "feel" wise.

The Collings neck and headstock were wonderful, but the size "0" body did not suit me.

That neck on a 12 fret dread body ? I'd buy it!!!

uponamouse

Thu Oct 13, 2022 3:54 am

Thanks Silly, for contributing. It's always great to hear from you.

A month or two ago, I ventured to my nearest good guitar shop (Sylvan Music, Santa Cruz, CA). I tried half a dozen 12 strings, some new (Martin, Taylor, and Eastman) and in various price ranges, and some older pieces (60s Gibson, early 70s Guild, early 70s Martin DS). Oh, the tone of that Martin DS won hands down! But the price was way beyond book. To be continued...
Cheers, Tom