Flatpickers and small bodies

dansprucefir

Flatpickers and small bodies

Fri May 28, 2021 12:33 pm

Hey all,

I remember there was a good bit of discussion on the old forum about players who flatpick on a smaller bodied guitar. I think there was a mention of Mark Althans using a Waterloo for gypsy jazz if memory serves. I just wanted to see if folks have found smaller bodies to be satisfying in a acoustic ensemble setting or maybe as a duo (mandolin and guitar perhaps?). I currently have a D1AT and an OM1AT and I love them both. Maybe I am looking for an excuse to get something that is comfy for the couch :D

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated!
Dan

Red Oak

Re: Flatpickers and small bodies

Mon May 31, 2021 1:03 pm

Never a bad reason to get a new guitar! Especially if it’s a Collings!!
Check out the Collings Baby; it’s a special guitar!!!

dansprucefir

Re: Flatpickers and small bodies

Tue Dec 28, 2021 7:58 pm

Hey all,
I wanted to revisit this thread from a while back. I am mostly playing my OM1AT these days and the D1AT mostly goes unplayed. I am thinking of adding another smaller bodied guitar but it needs to have a thinner neck up around the 8-12th frets for playing jazz chords up the neck. I have developed some arthritis in my fretting hand thumb and the thick T neck is uncomfortable at these higher positions. For single note leads/improv plus jazz chording (think acoustic swing), would a O1 or O2 (A or G - I've never been satisfied with sitka) be a useful instrument?
Thanks in advance!
Dan